Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:18 AM   #1

Hello everyone
I am a physician writing from chennai . .India. I am new to these forums.
I have a F828 and LUmix FZ20. Both take excellent pics. I am not a pro, just someone who loves taking pictures. However I would like to go higher . Budget can be flexible but to a point. I planned on buying the Rebel xt to start with however I find the lenses do not have a F 2.8 along the entire zoom at both at standard and moderate telephoto. I know this is expensive to make but if F 828 and FZ20 can give F 2.8 along the entire zoom why cant pros like canon or sigma?

Its certainly worthwhile to have f 2.8 for the entire zoom is it not? But most pro lenses stop at 4.5 - 5 along the telephoto. And the ones that have 2.8 only are exorbitant in price
Any advice?
Thanks
Krishna Raman
mediyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:31 PM   #2

Quote:
I know this is expensive to make but if F 828 and FZ20 can give F 2.8 along the entire zoom why cant pros like canon or sigma?
DSLRs have much larger sensors requiring larger objective lenses to give the same performance. A 12X zoom that maintains f2.8 throughout the range for a DSLR would probably come with a set of wheelies to cart it around.

But DSLRs have better high ISO capabilities than the cameras you currently own with tiny sensors. So you could crank the ISO up and have similar capability for a given light situation.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:23 AM   #3

Thanks Slipe. I like that. A DSLR with F2.8 needing a wheelie to cart it around!! Good one. I suppose increasing the ISO is the only way to compensate - hopefully if the higher iso's dont create noise.
Thanks
Krishna
mediyoga is offline   Reply With Quote