Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:54 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I just recently bought my girlfriend a A510 for her birthday and I am very very glad with my decision, infact my mom liked it so much she decided she wanted one. She has always been picky with digital cameras though because she cant take fast pictures and hates shutter lag. But once I showed her the A510 and how to use it and half pressing the button she found out it wasn't all that bad. The only thing that was wrong was the long flash reload time and since my dad has enough money to spend on maybe a more pricey camera I said maybe go with the next one up. (That being the SD200) Now I looked at the review of the SD200 and can only see negative points to it vs. the A510 such as shorter battery life (140 shots with lcd on vs. 300 with rechargeable batteries on the A510), smaller zoom (3x vs 4x), no shutter and aperture priority or fast shutter mode. So what do you guys think, I need some positive points over the A510.

PS: The plastic over the A510s lcd got a little scratch and something like dirt got under it, is there anything I can do? (possibly replace?)
Killing2Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:01 PM   #2

It looks like you answered your own question about the two cameras. Better reviews and you already know how good the A510 is, so that seems like the good decision. As for the LCD, you can get the protectors for the LCD at Radio Shack and elsewhere and they will keep any new scratches from coming. The dust under the LCD happens, mine has a tiny speck which I can't really see unless I look real hard. It would probably cost you more to fix it than just get a protector and forget it.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:26 PM   #3

So I cant do anything about the scratches or dust underneath it, other than get a protecter and forget about it? I still got warranty on it, could they possibly put on a new plastic thing? And is there a way I can take it off myself? Anyways if the A510 is better than the SD200 why is it priced at more than the A510?
Killing2Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:46 PM   #4

The sd200 is priced higher because it is smaller and can fit into your pocket. It's just like a laptop vs. a desktop. Laptops cost more because they are smaller, not because they are better. You pay for the size. Same difference in these two cameras.

Ofcourse you can pay to get the LCD cover replaced but it will probably cost more than a new camera. Call Canon Cust Serv and ask.They won't cover under a warranty because it's a user caused problem not a build error. If you don't put a protector over the LCD it's going to get scratched again even if you get a new one.

mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote