Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:12 PM   #1

After taking over 100 pictureswith the SD500, while few have come out okay, some very excellent(acceptable for the general camera enthusiast, like myself, I suppose), those qualities still don't match the S400's. The S400 simply does a much better job at producing more accurate and well saturated colors, not to mention, crisp detailed shots. I've seen more washed out colors and higher level of purple fringing with the SD500. Pretty dissapointing considering that the SD500 was supposed to be THE premier and most advanced Elph camera.

Perhaps the next generation will equal the S400 quality.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:11 PM   #2

is the s400 a canon? i'm leaning towards the canon sd400, and you're help is greatly appreciated!
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3

It's the older Elph series model, a bit bulkier, biggerand heavier than the current SD series models. Though discontinued, you can still findit for sale on Ebay ata great price. The S400 has received a lot of great accolades. I still like the SD500 for its quickness but picture quality wise, the S400 is better.

You might want to reconsider about purchasing the SD400. From what I've read by other users, the images tend to come out more soft than the SD500, does a poor job in low-light settings. But then again, some people are very content with the SD400. It's all a matter of personal preference. If you get a chance, please check out some of my SD500 pics on the Canon forum site (some of the poor qualities are my fault I'm sure; but considering this is supposed to be a very user friendly, simple P&S camera, it still shoud be able to take great pictures most of the time).

Good luck.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote