Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:07 AM   #1

which camera is d best all rounder today??
any camera with good quality pics and decent movies(if not great). i was initially thinking of casio z750 but so called lens error scares me, does every camera comes across this error or few f them???
how would u consider kodak v550 or pentax s5n???? or how abt samsung i5? these cameras have mpeg4 movie but i dont know which ones better?
which one of them is d best in terms of quality and reliability??
is there any movie samples by the users???

PLEASE HELP WITH THIS:O:?
ankitalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:57 AM   #2

The best "all rounder today" is probably the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II. If you don't want to carry lenses and stuff there is the Minolta A200 with manual wide angle zoom and several 12X stabilized zoom cameras, one of which maintains f2.8 all the way to 12X.

You are pretty far down the list of best all round cameras when you get to the Z750. You compromise a lot in zoom range, wide angle, barrel distortion etc to carry a camera the size of a deck of cards. You have completely fallen off the list IMO when you move to a point and shoot and then to a point and shoot with no viewfinder.

If you don't have any use for controls and a viewfinder getting a Z750 is probably just buying clutter. I have a Z750 and consider it the best of the pocket cameras, but I use all of the controls regularly. If you would be happy with a Pentax S5n you don't need a Z750.

The Kodak V550 has the same sized LCD as the Z750 but it has twice the LCD resolution. It also has the good MPEG4 movies and has permanent memory where you can store a photo album to show around that is independent of the memory card. It has a viewfinder and looks to be a very nice little camera. If it tests out OK in the reviews it looks like an excellent small point and shoot.

You can carry the S5n in an Altoids tin. Other than that I don't see a lot to recommend it. Pentax Europe nor dpreview list MPEG4 movies. It tends to have more than average corner softness for a small camera and some vignetting at wide angle. I had an S4 and that never detracted from any of my pictures though – there isn't usually anything you need in focus in the corners unless you are copying maps or something.

If you want a tiny point and shoot with no viewfinder and MPEG4 movies get a Casio S500. It also has the past movie mode like the Z750, which I find to be a great feature. You can also store a large photo album in the permanent memory like the Z750.

If you want a small (not tiny) point and shoot with no viewfinder and don't need MPEG4, get a Fuji F10. It has an excellent lens and sensor, and is the only small camera with good low light capabilities.

The 640 X 480 at 30fps frame rate movies that are not MPEG4 are every bit as good as the MPEG4 movies. They just take four times the space on the memory card and your computer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:11 PM   #3

hey
u have a casio z750,dont u?
so how is it?? wats d thing with "lens Error".thats one thing whichs making me avoid casio,actually i want a camera which cud double up as a camcorder so it must have mpeg4 format so that it can record respectable movie times.so apart from that lens error i found casio perfect,but then thanx2 that risky lens i'm aking a look at kodak v550 and pentax s5n.this is so confusing.
is there any sample movie from z750 apart from publishers reviews????????:roll:
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:42 PM   #4

The movies are a little large to post or mail. They are very good. Mine has some background noise, which I think is common with several brands and models. Other than the background noise, everyone seems positively impressed with the movies. And the past movie mode makes it even more functional.

I'm a little leery of the lens error as well. I knew about it when I ordered the camera. The features are so good I felt it was worth the chance. You will not get lens errors if you carry the camera in audio record mode. The lens errors are primarily caused by the lens being restricted when the power comes on. If the power button accidentally gets activated in your pocket or a pouch the lens won't try to extend in audio mode. I'm looking for something unobtrusive to glue on either side of the power button so I can carry it in snapshot. Until I find something appropriate I plan to carry it in audio mode.

But there is no way I will trade it in for another camera. The control setup is extremely good. The comparison with my large FZ10 is amazing. The Z750 was designed by photo enthusiasts who also happened to be engineers. The Panasonic from the lens back was designed by pure engineers looking for the cheapest way to make the camera. It is still useable, but nothing like the Z750.

Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:17 PM   #5

thanx mate

hey if those sample movies are upto 100 mb can u give theie url,pls
i wanted 2 ask u 1 more thing,is this lens error problem related2 z750 only or every casio camera?? wat abt s500??? i am not so deep into photography so i just need a good point n shoot cam with lil manual controls and with a decent movie.
i am considering s500 after reading so many reviews abt lens error on 750
i'mm pretty confused
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:21 PM   #6

You know as much as I do about the lens errors. I noticed a lot of lens problems on the entire Pentax S series. Anything small enough to put in your pocket is probably going to get switched on by accident. If the pocket is in a tight set of jeans it is going to jam the lens. The Z750 probably has more problems because the lens extends so fast. I would suppose the S500 will do the same and have the same problems. If you feel you aren't going to take the advice to shut it down in audio record that would completely avoid a lens error and are going to extend the lens in a pocket or tight case then look at other cameras.

Pbase choked trying to accept a movie. If you won't take the owner's and reviewer's opinion that it takes excellent movies then get a camera that a neighbor or co-worker owns that you can look at the movies and know you aren't being lied to.

Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:18 AM   #7

allrite,i do trust other owners review,but as i get 1 gud review,sum1 is their witha bad one,so its pretty confusing.this lens error is a big issue from me as my camera will be bought from japan and i'm living in india and service and support of casio is not so nice here,so it will b a major issue if those errors occur.casio z750 here costs around $650,thats why i want2 b 100% sure of what i get,and it shud b reliable,hey what if d battery is taken out of camera 2 prevent any chance of accidental start ups,what do u say? my photography is limited2 family shots n movies with few holiday shoots.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:45 AM   #8

I'm not too sure Casio will be standing behind lens errors indefinitely even if you did have good service. I've heard comments they are already blaming it on the owners. Pentax often wouldn't fix jammed lenses under warranty – at least people alluded to that on Pentax forums.

If you always switch the camera to audio record when you turn it off I don't think you will get lens errors. If it accidentally gets switched on in that mode the lens doesn't extend. The mode dial is good and snapshot is easy to quickly switch back to when you turn it on because it is the only one that is red. There is no need to remove the battery. That would be far too much hassle to put up with.

Everyone thinks the movies are great. There is some background noise from the LCD, but I have heard complaints about that from other makes. Mine doesn't seem to have it very much. If you want to PM me with your e-mail I'll try to get you a sample via YouSendIt. Pbase won't store movies.

I like the camera and wouldn't trade it for any small camera available right now. But if you are concerned about the lens you might not be comfortable with it.

Old Jul 27, 2005, 5:29 PM   #9

I understand that theissue is that some users have had their cameras become non-functional after the lensgets jammed. I have only hadthe lens error messageappear twice in 2 weeks of use ofmy EX-Z750. Once the lens was blocked by my finger, the other timeit was probablynot quite all the way out of the case. I think I have gotten used to the idea now of keeping my finger clear of the lens when turning the camera on. I can't imaginethe cameragetting turned on accidentally while inthe case that I carry on my belt. No doubt it is bad to block the lens of anydigital p&S zoom camera when you turn it on. The question is whether the Casio cameras and the Z750 in particular are more prone to the lenses jamming when thisoccurs. It would seem to me that an appropriate clutch mechanismshould release the pressure. Setting themode to audiobefore putting the camera in a casemakes sense other than the fact that it adds to the usage of the mode dial over time andadds a second to thestart uptime for quick shots.I will probably drop a line to Casio regarding the risk oflens jamming in the EX-750; although I sense that some of theiremail support, though prompt,maybe somewhat lackingand a bit less than forthright in their conclusions.
ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:10 PM   #10

For less than $300 (US) the best all arounder in my opinion is the Fuji F-10

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote