Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2005, 7:58 AM   #1

I use right now a Minolta Dimage5 which I really like a lot and it fullfills more or less my expectations. Although it is an old camera it is still gining me the impression of making nice pictures expect some drawbacks like slow AF etc. But the main problem is the size of the camera. Therefore I consider to buy a second pocket-style camera to have the possibility for having a camera with me without carrying a whole backbag with my Dimage and its batteries :-)

Here in Switzerland concerning the prices and my quality wishes I found three cameras of interest:

Canon Powershot A510; 3 Mio, 4x zoom

Canon Ixus 30 (=Powershot SD200 in USA); 3Mio, 3x zoom

Konica Minolta Dimage E500; 5Mio, 3x zoom

All the cameras except the Ixus can use my rechargeable batteries from my current Dimage and furthermore the cameras use SD memory cards which I already have (2x 512MB) from my Palm Tungsten.

I guess that 3Mio pixels is enough for me as it is now with the DImage5 (in general I do not generate exposures bigger than A4) - I like the 4x zoom from the A510 but in contrast the Minolta has 5Mio pixels and no eye view finder onlya LCD screen.

Which camera is the best for taken it with me for mountain trips, city sightseeing etc? It should also have an exact and fast AF - I can not find any reviews about the Dimage E500 - anyone with experiences?

Which one of these cameras is the bestfor being a second camera next to my old SLR like DImage5 for the funny trips to beach, city sightseeing, mountain tours,...?

thank you a lot for your help!

Peter

ziegenpeterle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:22 AM   #2

If you use the movie modes at all the KM has 320 X 240 movies, which I find nearly useless and out of date. Only you know whether your use would benefit from the extra pixels. If the A510 fits your size requirements the extra zoom would be a benefit.

Two 512Mb cards for your Palm Tungsten – wow! I have a 256Mb card in mine and detailed maps for most of Florida, photos, books etc. I haven't come anywhere near filling the card.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:29 PM   #3

thank you for your advice. I tend anyway rather to go for the A5120. It looks nice and stable. Furthermore it has a really good price and I think concerning the idea why to havea second camera this A510 really fullfills the requirements.

how to fill 2x 512MB SD cards for the Palm Tungsten? :-) Well If you load enough mp3 files and movies then you will reach the 512MB very fast "ggg*

ziegenpeterle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:28 PM   #4

My Tungsten C isn't stereo, so I'm not tempted to load MP3s. And movies aren't worth the trouble.

If you are keeping stuff for the Palm on the cards you already have, you might be buying another card for the camera anyway. The A510 does look like an excellent camera for the price.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote