Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:43 PM   #21
Administrator

allenhuffman wrote:
Quote:
(And I'm looking for deals on a Canon G6...)
Beach Camera or Buydig.com (approx. $496 and $498 respectfully after shipping costs to me) -- same company, same NJ address,are your best bests from legitimate (non-con artists) vendors from what I can see here:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Canon_...ot_G6~S-P~OR-0

They have a restock fee if you change your mind though (and their accessory prices are high so buy your memory cards and batteies someplace else). :-) But, their reputation is pretty good compared to the Brooklyn based "scammers".

Go to a store first and play around with some cameras more to see what you like or dislike about them.

Then, decide (and come back and ask some questions if you are still undecided).

Jim C.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:29 PM   #22

allenhuffman wrote:
Quote:
P.S. - Do you have a sample that is around ISO 400 (or more) at 1/30th shutter?
Thanks, Allen, this is a great opportunity for me to post some of my outstanding F10 shots. I wish I had some!

Seriously, I really don't have any that I want to show off, or any that exactly meet your criteria. But I have a few that may give you some hints, if you're willing to extrapolate a little.

The first is outdoors, but after sunset, near the end of "civil twilight". ISO 800, shutter speed 1/7. Not particularly sharp, but the blur from camera shake is on the edge of acceptability for my purposes.
Attached Images

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:34 PM   #23

Here's another shot that is about as visually uninteresting as it could possibly be, but does show something about the F10's performance indoors in low light. It's the interior a television studio, but without any studio lights on, only the work lights, which are (I think) the same color temperature as household incandescent lights. ISO 800, 1/16 second.
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:48 PM   #24

Because it's hard to tell a lot about motion blur when photos have been resized to 640 x 480, here's a 100% crop from the previous shot. I think it shows the noise you get at ISO 800 and some loss of detail from noise reduction, but little motion blur. Bear in mind that to see this level of detail in an uncropped image, you'd have to view it at 72 dpi on a monitor 40 inches across.

Like the other images I've uploaded to this thread, this one has not been modified in any way other than resizing (or, in this case, cropping).
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:28 PM   #25

Thank you for taking time to upload those samples. I found a G6 (used) and played with it a bit and it certainly seemed way better than my SOny, Nikon or Casio could do. But, can't find one new, and they don't have the charger, etc. and still want $450.* So, I just ordered the F10 from BetBusy.com ($379) using their $10 per $100 discount (expiring today) which saved me another $40 for some reason (guess they round up) -- total price worked out within $20 from a cheap mail order so I'm happy.* Tonight we go to t alocal theme park after charging the camera to test it out. Thanks much!* We'll see how it goes!
allenhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:42 PM   #26

I picked up an F10, and headed out to Iowa's Adventureland amusment park tonight at dusk (after 8:30pm). I took a series of pics, and they turned out quite well.* Resolution was set to 640x480 since I only had the included 16MB xD card. I was stunned at how well it did, since my Casio EX-Z4, Nokia 5400 and Sony DSC-W1 all produced blurry photos in the same situation. The auto mode cranked up to ISO 800 for most all of these, I think.* http://www.os9al.com/digicams/FujiF10* I have a ton of things I already hate about this camera (well, basically the stupid dongle thing required to charge, etc.) but I'll get a USB xD reader and external charger and never have to touch it. More later... (Sorry about my posts running together; this WowBB doesn't seem to like the Safair web browser.)
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:45 PM   #27

I'm glad you like the F10's low-light image quality, Allen. I agree that much about the camera is annoying, but for now I'm willing to put up with the annoyances. By this time next year, there may well be better choices, but for now the F10 is in a class by itself. I hope you will enjoy it.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:26 PM   #28

I leave for my Disneyland trip this Thursday morning. If I come back happy, you'll know it worked. As long as I don't have to use the stupid dongle thing (ie, external charger and xD reader) I don't think I'll have much problem -- but I can't wait for the next "better" Fuji to use this tech! (I am a bit concerned about the LCD, though -- it's blinding to have on in the dark rides, and often makes them come on the PA and tell us to turn off our cameras ;-) Fun fun!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:25 AM   #29

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of those pictures even at ISO 800. Though I would have to see them in full size to be really impressed. I have a Canon A80 now and even at ISO 100 I get more noise than I'm comfortable with. I like to do night time shooting, long exposures, and sometimes I just can't do it at ISO 50 with this camera.

I work in an all-digital camera store, but it's very part time and I don't have the money to upgrade to something better, though when I can I'll probably go with a Rebel XT or whatever is the best in that range at the time.

We only got the F10 and the Z1 in stock a early last week when I was working and I was very impressed with the LCD size and speed, but the lack of an optical viewfinder and the loose battery with no latch to keep it from falling out when the door is open made me kind of iffy about the F10. Otherwise it looks like a great camera, though I'd need some more manual control personally.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:09 PM   #30

Those are full size ;-) (Well, okay, I took them at the lowest rez setting since I only had 16MB, but...)

I just ordered a $90 1GB xD card with free 2nd day shipping from ZipZoomFly.com (via www.dealram.com - great price comparisons). Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow, and maybe get a chance to try out the camera and see if the images are as "still" at higher rez. (My mind keeps thinking it's bound to be better at lower-rez, since there are fewer pixels to track, but I have no idea how these things really work.)

Now if I could just find an external battery charger in a local store!