Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:22 PM   #11

I'm leaning more toward the Panasonic DMC-FZ5 rather than either of these because the Sony and Canon are both heavier and larger.

Make sure you look for comments on the Sony's high amount of chromatic aberration (purple fringing). I think the Sony is a nice camera but with a cheap lens.
This cropped image from dpreview.com shows this problem well. I wouldn't pay that much for a camera that produces junk like this:

orbhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Make sure you look for comments on the Sony's high amount of chromatic aberration (purple fringing). I think the Sony is a nice camera but with a cheap lens.
CA is not unique to the Sony H1. All cameras in the superzoom class display some degree of CA. Dpreview also state the S2 exhibits just as much CA, and the Panasonics images are somewhat soft and over sharpened. Bottom line is all cameras in this class have some shortcomings and your best bet is to try them all out and see which one works best for you. All 3 cameras have been recognized as very good cameras and I don't think you could go wrong with any one of them.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:54 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone's input from the website. Though I was leaning towards the Sony because of my 1 GB memory card...I have to say the Canon's zoom mechanism seemed much speedier than the Sony's today. Looked at the Panasonic a week or two ago, and again, the zoom speed was a bit slow for my liking. When you're shooting action, you need speed. Memory is getting cheaper all the time so I may have to reconsider and go for the Canon.
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:18 AM   #14

I tried out the Canon S2 IS in store and found that it felt rather flimsy and plasticy to me, compared to the Panasonic FZ20, which felt very solid and sturdy. Can anyone who has played with the H1 offer their opinion there?

Re. battery life, in Steve's reviews on both these cameras he lists the battery life to be around 200 shots for both cameras, however the S2 uses 4 AAs and the H1 uses only 2, not sure what to make of that.

I also tend to agree that there's a few features which are nice but less commonly useful, possibly the flip screen and the super movie mode? While i'm attracted to such features, i suspect the less glamourous but larger screen on the H1 is more worthwhile in the long run.

I also found the zoom mechanism on the canon a bit too quick for my liking, i can't really see where zooming in that fast would be terribly useful, even at a sporting event, in my limited playing with it, i suspect it would take at least the same amount of time to zoom accurately given the need to relocate the subject with such a high zoom speed.
shadow-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:51 AM   #15

I must admit, the Canon S2 feels a bit flimsy to me as well. I feel that the FZ20 is a class above the S2 though. Its more expensive with less features.

Concerning the batteries, I can remember something in steve's review that the S2 gets 500 shots per charge. I bought a set of 2500mAh's. First I used the alkalines, then put in the fully charged 2500mAh's. I'm now at 800 pics (have the camera for a little more than 2 weeks), and have'nt seen a battery low indicator since I put in the rechargables. I dont use flash very often though.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:24 AM   #16

Carrots wrote:
Quote:
Concerning the batteries, I can remember something in steve's review that the S2 gets 500 shots per charge.
Yes, in the specs he listed the 500 shot battery life which canon also quotes, however he also mentions the 200 shots in "Steve's Conclusion" but there he states the use of full time IS, which i wouldn't be using, since you supposed;y get better images when IS activates just before the photo is taken.
shadow-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:36 AM   #17

I don't think the zoom action can be too fast....especially when you're shooting fast-paced sports action. The S2 has a variable speed zoom depending on how and where you press the rocker switch..so too fast it shouldn't be. I looked at the Panasonic FZ5 (little brother to the FZ20) and it was slow. The Sony, which I'd been leaning towards, felt slow compared to the Canon. Significantly. Which disappointed me, because I'd wanted to stick with Sony.

While I really like the 2.5" screen on the Sony, the appeal of the articulating lcd on the Canon is undeniable. I think when the opportunity arises for it...I'd be glad I have it. Like when my kids are in a program at school and I have to shoot over the crowd in front of me (and I'm kind of short). Yes,I wish the screen was bigger than 1.8"..but that size will do. If the Sony had an articulating lcd..it would be better.

The movie mode is appealing too....even though I rarely shoot movies. I like that you can zoom. Makes it more movie-like, and interesting to view.

Battery life on the Canon is supposed to be about twice as long as the Sony..which makes sense, since it takes twice as many batteries.

The S2 felt solid to me. I've never owned a Canon camera before, but I've heard nothing but positive reviews for them. For the money, the S2 has more features than anything else in this class.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:52 PM   #18

I have been trained, actually on the Canon S2 AND the Sony DSC-H1. For one, and very important reason and very IMPORTANT reason to stay with the Canon S2 is the LENS. On almost all of the Sony cameras on the market now, the H1 does NOT have the Carls Zeis Lens.

2nd, the S2 is an upgrade from the Canon S1, which is improved already over a previous model. The elements in the Canon lens cut down more on the chromatic aberation than any other in it's class (and price range). The S2 also uses Canon's USM motor and elements in the lens of this camera that is usually ONLY in the upper, upper models, like the G6 and Powershot Pro1. The S2 carries Canon's Optical IS, which so far has only been available in the EOS SLR camera lenses (I have an EOS 10D), so all my lenese I've bought (only 3), have had the IS (Image Stablizer) in them. Having owned an S1, and having hands on messing around with the Sony, the S2 focuses faster and has added additional shooting modes INCLUDING now a seperate mode for the biggest reason why people don't like any digital cameras, "LOW LIGHT" shooting, weather that be indoors or outdoors. The low light setting is awesome. My indoor, low light shots are awesome!!

Lastly, did I mention MACRO?? WOW!! Not just marco, but super macro mode, 0-3.9 in./0-10cm, now that's impressive. I belive that anyone getting this camera will not be disappointed.

As for the Panasonic, don'tforget folks, THEY have NOT been in the digital camera business for very long. NeitherPanasonic OR Sony have any experience going into their modelsbased on"film" cameras. This is part puts canon's abilities above other too. The S2 also carries their newest processor, the Digic2which is in the Mark II. Faster processor equals faster picture taking (for sports), and writing to the card from the buffer and on to the next shot.

Movie Mode, I like how they're made the movie mode so well, up to an hour of continues with the ability to zoom and pull back.Also, NOT in the Sony or Panasonic, and this is I know a littlefeature, is that the CanonS2 records in stereo sound, abovethe others.

Has anyone heard of the new mode only the Canon shoots in called "My Colors",it's soo cool and since I print my own photos, for example, I can take a picture inblack and white mode, and CHANGE one color to what I want. I took a black and white and "allowed" just the RED tocome out. Imagine a b&w picture and just the "reds" that were in the photowere printed, the rest being mono.It's cool. Obviously not a feature Ineeded, but it's cool it's there.The only other Canon right now to do this is that little Elf model, SD500 I think.

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:58 PM   #19

I'm sold. Thank you very much for your information and opinions on the S2.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:58 PM   #20

I'm sold. Thank you very much for your information and opinions on the S2.