Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2005, 2:06 PM   #1

7/7/05: Reposting this.

7/6/05: Man, I can't believe I didn't get even one response to this post! That's the first time that ever happened. Moderators can you help me out? Thanks. -David

I was thinking about upgrading to an 8 megapixel camera...but most of their zooms are 7 or 8x. I wanted a new digital camerawith a longer zoom that is goodfor shooting sports, landscape, nature, etc. I am not a professional photographer....don't want a digital SLR, don't want separate lenses etc..or the expense of an SLR. I've read a lot about noise in 8 megapixel cameras, many reviews have said 5 megapixels is more than enough to be able to do cropping, and I do a bit. I hardly ever, however, print something in a 5x7 or 8x10 size..but it's nice to be able to do so.

I've looked at the Sony [highlight= #ffff88]DSC[/highlight]-[highlight= #88ffff]H1[/highlight] and it handles very nicely, I like the big 2.5" screen. Plus for the sony is I already have 1 GB of memory cards since I own a Cybershot [highlight= #ffff88]DSC[/highlight]-P10. It also, takes only 2 batteries and comes with a charger.

Haven't handled the Canon S2 yet, saw it's predecessor the S1 and it too seems nice. I really like an articulating LCD. I may not ever, or rarely use it....but it's nice I think to have that option. I also, though I rarely shoot video on my digital camera, like the reviews of the S2's enhanced movie mode which WILL zoom while shooting.

Steve's reviews are pretty evenly matched on these two cameras. I like the fact that both cameras have manual focus and many other manual options for me to "grow" into a better photographer.

Curious to get some other peoples thoughts on these 2 cameras.

Thanks!

David

dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:41 PM   #2

Hi David,
I am pretty much a newbie to digital photography, so you can probably get much better advice from much more knowledgable people, but I'll give you my 2 cents since I was in pretty much the exact same position as you. I wanted a megazoom to shoot sports, landscape, macro on flowers, museums, etc. I was choosing between the S2 IS, H1, and Panasonic's FZ5. I ended up going with the FZ5. Firstly, I didn't like the H1. I thought it was too combersome in my hands (but I have pretty small hands), and I just didn't like the quality of pictures compared to the S2 or the FZ5. So I basically chose between those 2. I ultimately chose the FZ5 for 2 reasons: one is the faster focus time for sporting events. Pretty much everyone who has commented on capturing rapidly moving objects have said that the Panasonic is superior at this (although I have seen pictures of the S2 at sporting events that are amazing). Secondly, I just liked the pictures better, particularly at higher ISOs. I found that people buy the S2 for features I wouldn't use, namely the swivel LCD (which I would use but don't really need) and the VASTLY superior movie mode (I almost never take movies, so all I cared about was that I have some movie taking capacity should I ever feel the burning desire).

Bottom line is they're both amazing cameras. You wouldn't be disappointed with either. In my opinion, the FZ5 takes slightly better pictures and has a slightly faster autofocus, while the S2 has much better features. Since I didn't need those features, I didn't want to pay for them. Make sure you go to a store and handle them in person no matter what you choose. Their dimensions are very different so they handle in completely different ways. Some people like the S2's bigger size and heavier weight. As I said, I have small hands, so I found the FZ5 perfect to handle. Good luck!
griswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:16 AM   #3

Thanks for your opinion. I looked at the Z5 at the camera store...and the zoom action seemed a little slow to me. The PowerShot S2s are backordered here and I haven't gotten a chance to see that camera yet. I agree with you on the movie-making abilitiy....as long as I have the ability to do this, that's fine. I do like the idea of having the articulating screen. I think it's one of those things that normally one wouldn't use, but is really good when the opportunity arises. That said, I have seen the Sony DSC-H1 and really like it a lot. So did the guy at my local camera shop. He liked it better than the Panasonics. It's not too big for my hands, and I really like the big screen. If it was an articulating lcd, this might be a perfect camera. Waiting to check out the Canon though. Big plus for the Sony, is I already have 1 GB worth of Memory Cards. I'll let you know which camera I end up with. Thanks again. -David
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:11 PM   #4

you might find this thread useful:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14175616

I'm also going to buy a super-zoom digital camera and the sony h1 is top in my list at the moment, followed by the FZ5. I've read several posts and I've also found this thread about H1 and FZ5:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14024882

I hope these can help in your decision.

Cheers, Sergio

asergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:07 PM   #5

Thanks Sergio. I really liked the look and feel of the Sony DSC-H1. Also looked at the FZ5 Panasonic and wasn't thrilled with the feel of the camera...the focus device seemed rather slow to me. The guy helping me at the camera store agreed, he really liked the Sony too.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:59 PM   #6

Funny you mention the zoom; I thought the canon's was too fast. Either the slow zoom moved at a snail's pace, or the fast zoom caused me to lose the object I was framing. The Panasonic hit that sweet spot for me. But if you can handle the Canon's zoom, that's great. When you check it out, make sure you spend a lot of time comparing the focus speed with the Sony. That's been the most consistent complaint with the Canon, and since you're going to be shooting sports, it's an important point. Good luck! These are the dilemmas I agonize over for weeks, but at the same time you have to feel fortunate you're deciding between 2 amazing camerasl
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:52 AM   #7

I almost bought the FZ 5 when I couldnt find a S2 in the country. One of the reasons I did not get a FZ5 is that an extra battery costs roughly $108 here. Thats about the same as the difference between a S2 and a FZ5.

I love my S2, although the focusing is a bit slow, and in low light it doesnt always hit the spot. I like that it takes 4 batteries, and thus can take more pictures with one set.

The H2 even more scarce in than the S2 around here. But I also liked the S2's features and specs a bit more. Over here the H1's memory costs twice as much as that of the S2. I think the fact that you already have 1GB of memory for the H1 should be reason enough to get it.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:26 AM   #8

Thanks for your input. I agree the S2's specs are better, but I really like the H1, love the big lcd screen, the fact that I have 1GB of memory cards now (they're not that expensive anymore...get them on eBay), and the fact that they provide batteries and a charger with the camera is nice.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:22 PM   #9

It sounds like on paper you should go for the sony. In addition to the batteries and the memory, the focus is better. The only real disadvantages are the movie mode, which isn't a whole lot better on the Canon (and the Sony definitely kills the Panasonic) and isn't a big deal to you, and the extra picture processing by the camera, but that's completely a matter of taste. I have no experience with either of these outside of the store though, so I really can't comment on either from personal experience.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:54 PM   #10

Got to look at the PowerShot S2 today and I have to say the zoom mechanism seems a good bit faster and more responsive than the Sony H1. Really like the swivel screen too. Saw it at Best Buy....I'll want to talk with the people at Ritz Camera about both of these. I don't know, was leaning towards the H1 because of my 1 GB memory card, but I really want the best camera in this class for my needs of shooting sports and landscapes.