Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:16 PM   #1

I've kinda been out of the digital camera stuff for a few yearsnow, I own a olympus 2100c now for a few years, taken 1000's of pictures with it, and love it. Have kids that are into a lot of sports, so the 10x zoom and stabilation has been awesome, couldnt ask for a better camera. I'm asking today, what camera is better, or compares with this one? I need a good zoom with good picture quality. Thanks for any help anyone can give!
trak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2

Try out the Panasonic superzooms, FZ-3, FZ-5, FZ-10, FZ-20, the latest Canon S2 IS or Sony DSC-H1. All have image stablization and range from 3 to 5 megapixels. Only the Canon uses AA batteries, though.

I like the 5 megapixel FZ-5. Though it has no hot shoe, its performance is similar to that of the much larger and slightly more expensive FZ-20. It is reputed to focus very quickly.

I had the 2100C, too. Liked it a lot.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 6:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the helpful input. All of these cameras look great. Although I must admit that the "AA" battery option is almost a "must". It makes it so easy if you forget to charge your batteries, you always have backups. Thats one the of the things I've loved about the Olympus 2100c. Thanks again for all your help.
trak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:02 PM   #4

The C2100 was my first digital camera, but its place has been taken by a Panasonic FZ20. I might like it even better if it took AA batteries, but the proprietary battery does last much longer than a set of AAs.

What sold me on the FZ20 was its manual focus, the best I've seen on any non-SLR digital camera.

The FZ20 is sometimes criticized for producing noisy images. At low ISO settings there's a bit more noise in underexposed areas than you get with the C2100. However, I find the FZ20 much more usable at ISO 400 (after post processing with noise reduction software) than the C2100.

IMO, the most serious design flaw in the FZ20 is that the finder and LCD do not "gain up" in dim light, so you literally cannot even see enough to frame a shot. It's mind-boggling that Panasonic could have failed to realize what a negative this is. I carry a pocket camera that performs well in low light; otherwise, the FZ20 meets my zoom needs admirably. If manual focus and a hot shoe are not important to you, the FZ5 is probably a better choice.

But if AA batteries are your most important criterion, your choice is made. It's a Sony!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote