Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:37 PM   #1

i have narrowed my choices to three: canon sd300, casio z55, or sony p200. i was almost sold on the canon, until i read users opinions about the sony. the propriety memory stick doesn't bother me.

i want small & compact (pocket size) that i can point & shoot and do an occasional movie.

please help! thank you!
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:29 PM   #2

I would personally much prefer the P200. But if you intend using it just as a point and shoot I think any of those will serve you well.

One advantage of the P200 other than having manual controls is that it isn't prone to red-eye because the long shape let them move the flash further from the lens. The Canon gives plenty of red-eye. Some people don't like the 1/40 flash sync speed. It is a compromise. You have a better chance of getting movement ghosts in bright lighting but you get the background lighted a little better by the ambient light. You can take flash shots in shutter priority and put it where you want it though.

You also get a lot more pixels so you can crop and still have a good image for printing. If you don't think you want big prints that isn't much of a factor though. I think it will go obsolete further in the future though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:57 PM   #3

most of my prints are 4x6. i don't think it'll go higher ever.

i already have an older sony i love. but the size of the canon is great. i did notice people commented on the very fragile lcd on the canon. and all reviews loved the casio.

zoom is one of the most important things for me.

too much to chew on. if you were going to buy a camera now, would the sony be the one?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:29 PM   #4

dottcomm1 wrote:
Quote:
if you were going to buy a camera now, would the sony be the one?

Of the choices you gave – absolutely. But my criteria are different. I like having the manual controls if I want them. My preference has nothing to do with your requirements.

It was down to the P200 and Casio Z750 for me. I elected to go with the Z750 and I am happy with the choice. But it has more modes and controls than the Sony. And you have to be really careful with the lens that it doesn't try to extend in your pocket. If you don't need the controls it might not be worth the hassle.

If I could do without a viewfinder here in the Florida sun and could tolerate a point and shoot I would have bought a Fuji F10. It might be a little large for you, but it is an extremely competent camera.

Steve tests almost everything that comes out. If he puts a camera on his Best Cameras list it is competent. The P150 is on his list and he hasn't tested the P200. Imaging Resource has tested the P200 and it is one of Dave's Picks.

The SD300 is on both lists of best cameras. The Z55 is on Steve's list of best cameras. Dave hasn't reviewed the Z55 but the Z50 is on his list.

I trust both of them to not recommend a camera that isn't good. The movies on the Z55 aren't up to current standards. The other two take excellent movies. They don't use MPEG4 so they take a lot of space. I never used movies on my digital cameras until I got the Z750 with good quality movies. 640 X 480 movies at 30fps are quite good and worth the effort IMO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:35 PM   #5

i would love the casio z750, but it's a bit out of my price range. that camera seems to be loved by everybody. the second choice is the canon sd300 (the sd400 is well liked, but the 300 seems to be loved more).

i have one of the first sony "professional" cameras with all manual options, etc. now, i want a pocket-sized, easy-to-use, high zoom, durable camera.

i must admit, my gut is saying canon. i've bought cars sight unseen... why is this is so difficult!?!?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:17 PM   #6

dottcomm1 wrote:
Quote:
i would love the casio z750, but it's a bit out of my price range. that camera seems to be loved by everybody. the second choice is the canon sd300 (the sd400 is well liked, but the 300 seems to be loved more).

i have one of the first sony "professional" cameras with all manual options, etc. now, i want a pocket-sized, easy-to-use, high zoom, durable camera.

i must admit, my gut is saying canon. i've bought cars sight unseen... why is this is so difficult!?!?
what exactly is yor price range. at most of the places ive looked, the ex-750 is only about ~50-~75 more the the sd400, p200, and f10
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:13 PM   #7

i don't really want to spend more than $300. also, i made a mistake in the desciption (that i fixed in the body text), i meant the sd300.

it seems as though the z750 keeps winning hands down. all reviews, both from sites and the average person, love it...which makes things even tougher for me.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:58 PM   #8

dottcomm1 wrote:
Quote:
it seems as though the z750 keeps winning hands down. all reviews, both from sites and the average person, love it...which makes things even tougher for me.
I'd have to say that I'd spend the extra money, if I could float it at all. It's been pointed out to me though that it depends on your buying style. I tend to buy something really nice once and then when that wears out, buy something else. Some people like to buy and then sell when the next evolution comes out.
One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to really want one camera and get another, you're just more likely to be disapointed by your purchase in the long run. At least that's true for myself.
Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:28 PM   #9

i hear you. i definately believe get the best you can afford, don't skimp.

on the other hand, both the sd300 and the z55 are rated very high. i think i've narrowed out the z55 due to the lower movie quality.