Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:49 AM   #1

Does anyone have first-hand information as to how the long "boot-up" times of these cameras affect their usability? I want to buy one but have been put off by this reported defect. Would a Canon S70 be a better bet?
Harrisgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:40 PM   #2

I own a C8080, and the boot-up time is extremely quick. Who would tell you otherwise??:?

I've also previouslytried out the C7070, and I do not remember any significant start-up time, but I'll let a current owner address that. They are both great cameras.

Here is a quote from a recent in-depth C8080review:

"...The C-8080 Wide Zoom is a fast camera for its type, indeed its sub-one-second startup time is better than some digital SLR's, it's still faster than the competition even at telephoto. Kudos Olympus. Auto focus felt fast and was truly fast in a point-and-shoot situation, if you 'half press' the camera returns with an AF lock indication somewhere between three quarters and one and a half seconds. However this isn't the whole story, if you skip the half press and simply take a shot in one action (full depression of shutter release) the C-8080 auto focuses, measures AE and takes the shot much more quickly. In a good AF situation (wide angle, good light) we managed it in 0.3 seconds, that's almost twice as fast as the competition."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc8080wz/
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:54 PM   #3
Administrator

Harrisgx wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have first-hand information as to how the long "boot-up" times of these cameras affect their usability?
You'll find information related to a camera's performance in each models review here. Check the conclusion sections for it (startup times, autofocus speed and reliability, cycle times between photos, etc.).

Note that Steve measures time to takea photo when starting up --- not just the apparent startup time reported by some reviewers).

From the C-7070WZ review (info on startup times):

Quote:
The C-7070 Wide Zoom's single image shooting performance is very good. The start-up time is 3.5 seconds from turning on the power until you capture the first image, much of that spent extending the lens into shooting position; waking the camera from its power-saving sleep mode takes about the same amount of time.
You'll see more about performance on page I got this from (the review conclusion page):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...c7070_pg6.html

From the C-8080WZ (info on startup times):

Quote:
The C-8080's shooting performance is good. The start-up time is quick; it took under two seconds from turning on the power until you capture the first image with the lens at the wide end of its zoom range, fast enough for you to capture a high percentage of the spontaneous photo opportunities that you encounter. Add about one second to startup time with the lens at the telephoto end of its range. Oddly, waking the camera up from its power saving Sleep mode took three seconds, one second longer than a cold power-on operation.
You'll see more about performance from this model on the page I got this from (the review conclusion page):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...c8080_pg6.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:03 PM   #4

Here's another viewpoint: from power on to first shot, C-8080 = 1.5 seconds; S70 = 2.9 seconds; C-7070 = 3.6 seconds. Winner is: C-8080 by a mile.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C8080/C88A7.HTM

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote