Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2005, 2:21 PM   #1

I have been searching all over this forum and have narrowed my choices down to these two models. The sony F828 or a canon DSLR. The rebel or rebel xt. I currently have a sony D770 but am itching to upgrade from the 1.5mp to atleast a 5mp or more (ie. the 8mp of the ones selected).

I like the style and simplicity of of the 770. Thats why I think the 828 would be a good choice.

I also have a canon film camera that, if I have read and understand correctly, I can use the lenses I already have for it on the digital rebel models. I like this idea for the choice of changing lenses for different applications. Unlike one fixed lens like my 770.

For my current photo expertice, or lack there of, these camera's may be a little overkill for me but I've learned to buy good stuff now and not have to worry about it a year later. Plus I hope, with help from all the excelent advice from the people on this forum, I can become better and use more of the fuctions of these cameras.

I might add that memory and battery useage (how long the batt will last) and cost of each are important also. Thanks for your inputs and recomendations. I'm hoping to buy one of these cameras with-in the week.

Scott
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:57 AM   #2

Hi,

The Sony F828 and the Canon Digital Rebel and the new XT are worlds apart. The Sony is a prosumer (although a good one), but the Canons are dSLR cameras. They are far superior to the Sony in every aspect. If you can afford the new XT, then go and get it NOW. You will not be disappointed.

The ability to use Canon lenses is a big plus. Canon lenses are extremely superior to anything a Sony will ever allow, and that will help in the long run. You can progress and learn to use them as your level of expertise increases. The Canon will allow you to take longer exposures with less noise, and picture quality will be far superior to the Sony.

Memory and batteries are not that expensive, so you can buy a few extra ones and never worry about running out of juice or memory in the field.

The Canon camera is more expensive (with the lens), and it should be. It deserves to be.

On a different note, you might wanna consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-20. Although not even close to the Rebel, it is 5MP of pure pleasure. I would take it any day over the Sony. It has a superb Leica lens and 12x optical zoom. Amazing picture quality. An 8MP camera is better for making large prints, but 5MP is not bad for 12 inch prints. It has good macro capability, and can save in TIFF format for maximum quality.

So if you can afford it, gor for the Canon. If not, then the Sony, and if you want something cheaper but good quality, then the Panasonic. The Panasonic still wins over the Sony due to the lens.
ignitef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3

Outstanding! Thats just what I was hoping to hear :-). I was leaning towards the XT anyway. I have found it online for just under $600 shipped at Royal Camera. I tried callin them last night but they were closed :roll:. Most places want between $700-1000 before shipping. I will also go ahead and look into the Panasonic you mentioned because I was initially thinking 'all I need is about 5-6mp. I'm no professional but the more I look the more I dont want to 'have to' upgrade again in 3-4 years.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:21 PM   #4

Well, ended up buying the XT today. After calling around a few places, the $600 was for body and lens ONLY. No batt, No charger, No memory..... what the....???

Anyway, there was no way around it. $1k later to be ready to go....

comence :|