Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

KM Dimage Z200 in TargetDirect 799 $, in ButterflyPhoto 521 $

Why?
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2005, 3:57 PM   #2

dunga wrote:
Quote:
KM Dimage Z200 in TargetDirect 799 $, in ButterflyPhoto 521 $

Why?

Marketing and overhead I suppose. Butterfly is a quality outfit and reliable. I wouldn't distrust a price from them.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 7:09 PM   #3

always look at the shipping prices. it can make the item higher than your highest quote pre-shipping.
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 7:53 PM   #4

Butterfly doesn't gouge you on shipping. They get $12.80 to ship a KM A200 – not sure what a Z200 is.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:38 PM   #5

Bought a Fuji S5100 from Butterfly in late January. Camera was delivered within a wk, with $11.50 shipping. No regrets here.:-)
St.Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:07 PM   #6

I've just been doing some searching of my own for the rebel xt. Prices vary from $700 -$1000 and I even found it for just under $600 shipped at royalcamera.com.

overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:34 AM   #7

Before you buy at the cheapest place, always check the location. If you see its NYC, then be cautious. Use the google links to see people's ratings and reviews of places.

Many places in NYC are "holes in the wall" that are less than honest.

Fortunately, the internet has made it harder for those places to hide.

I'm comfortable buying from Amazon, NewEgg, and I've just added BuyDig to that list. I'll buy from other places, but I do a lot more research first. B&H has a sterling reputation, and they are from NY.

When you see a really cheap price on a popular camera or lens, chances are its from NYC, and there is almost no real chance of getting it at that price. Based on poking around, they'll accept the order online, call you the next day to "confirm", and then ask you to buy some sort of add-ons or package. When you refuse, they tell you its not available.

If you're foolish and persist, your pain only increases.

(oh, and buy with a credit card so you can dispute it).
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Administrator

overkill wrote:
Quote:
I've just been doing some searching of my own for the rebel xt. Prices vary from $700 -$1000 and I even found it for just under $600 shipped at royalcamera.com.
Watch out for theBrooklyn based scam artists. If a price look too good to be true, it probably is.

Check reselleratings.com for any vendor you consider, and avoid vendors with a small number of reviews (since vendors have been known to padtheir own ratings).

See the customer reviews at this link for RoyalCamera.com (scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you'll see pages of reviews starting there).

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:51 AM   #9

WOW! I'm glad I didnt buy from them now. I ended up buying local. I noticed that with most of the 'good deals' on the internet, the camera didnt come with anything. Everything was extra, even the battery, charger, etc....

I'm going to put resellerratings.com in my bookmarks from now on....
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:11 AM   #10
Administrator

overkill wrote:
Quote:
WOW! I'm glad I didnt buy from them now. I ended up buying local. I noticed that with most of the 'good deals' on the internet, the camera didnt come with anything.
I use our Shopping Guide to find good deals when money is "tight". ;-)

There are lots ofhonest internet vendors out there. But, there are also lots of scam artrists. I've got nothing against Brooklyn, but if you check the "About" pages on web sites, most of the scam artists are located there (and the same businesses often operate under more than one name, with more than one web site).

So, make sure to thoroughly investigate any vendor you consider (with extra caution if they are in Brooklyn). For some reason, they seem to be able to get away with these types of tactics there.

When using our Shopping Guide, I'd suggest sticking to a "Trusted Store" with lots of good reviews.

Then, if you're not familar with thevendor, make sure to double check customer reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com

Quote:
Everything was extra, even the battery, charger, etc....
That's only a small part of the scams you see. Every trick in the book is used by some unscrupulous vendors -- grey market cameras not intended for the U.S. Market (that the manufacturer will refuse to service), unauthorized shipping and insurance charges, super high restocking fees when you try to return items that they shipped (which may be defective), etc.

You can't be too careful. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote