Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:25 PM   #1

Currently I have an Olympus D540 Zoom, which is a pile of crap onto itself. I need a replacement camera, digital of course, for when I take pictures of hardware samples for review. I like to get all the details of the hardware, such as the names and numbers on an IC chip, the fine detail of an mp3 player's buttons, and all that stuff.

I really have no idea what I need because I'm rather inept in this field. The Olympus has served me rather poorly in this job, so I need a new one. The pictures will include the standard 'far-away' shot as well as a few close ups to seal the deal. I guess the range from camera to item will be 6 inches or less, sometimes even closer if need be.

Thanks.
TheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:54 PM   #2

Nikon cameras have always been held in high regard when it comes to macro (close-up) shooting. Read the reviews and see if any of them will fit your needs.

If you need high quality shots, you should look at the great amount of information regarding home-made lighting setups available on the internet. Great macro shooting is more dependant on lighting, rather than the camera.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:49 AM   #3

I guess I should also note that my budget is around 200-300.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:02 PM   #4

Sorry for bumping my old thread, but instead of making a new topic on the same subject I might as well bring back my old one. I have yet to get a new camera, so if anyone has any input I'd be greatful.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:41 AM   #5

You may have a lighting problem rather than bad camera.What kind of lighting are you useing for close up work?
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:48 AM   #6

Hi everyone. speaking of close up pictures. check out this close up done with a fuji s5100 or s5500. Picture if copyright of its owner, Anne Dorsey. I love the colors on that flower.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:01 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:10 AM   #7

TheVirus wrote:
Quote:
I really have no idea what I need because I'm rather inept in this field. The Olympus has served me rather poorly in this job, so I need a new one. .

Thanks.

I think Gordy is right, it is more likely a lighting, rather than a camera problem. True, the D540 is a basic, entry level camera; but it does take excellent macos shots down to 2cm. If you are getting bad shots, it may a defective camera, but more likely it is operator error. If the lighting is not correct, just spending more money on another camera is not the solution.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:28 AM   #8

I don't have a fancy lighting setup but I have tried various methods, either going outside (I live in FL), or usinga variety of lamps and erm... flashlights. I'd have to take the picture a dozen times for it to come out the way I want it.

Under the same setup I am using my girlfriends camera which is a Fujifilm FinePix A330, and it does the job fairly well. I wanted a camera like it but a bit better (so I never run into the problem again).

Thanks again.