Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:58 AM   #1

I take a lot of pictures but only view them on the computer (I do not even have a color printer!). My question is, how much resolution do I really need in a digital┬* camera? I have a Casio (2M), a Canon (3.2), a Pentax (4), a Sony and a Canon (both 5). They all seem to take great shots on screen. Is there any need for higher resolution?┬* I always take the highest resolution possible because I crop a lot, but can someone explain what resolution really means for some who┬* does not print?Rube39
Rube39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:39 AM   #2

Hey,

Resolution actually means the ability of a lens to resolve detail and contrast/texture. It has nothing to do with 5MP or whatever MP a camera has. That is just the dimensions of the image. A 5MP camera might produce 2590x1920 pixel images, which is equal to 4972800 pixels, or 4.9MP. That will give you 10x8 inch prints easily.

Now the thing is that a 5MP camera can also give you 15 inch prints, depending on the quality of the lens and the image taken. A good lens can make or break an image. You can use a good quality image from a 5MP camera and ress it up in Photoshop or other program to increase the dimensions and make bigger prints.

For web/display, a 5MP camera is more than enough. Even a 3MP camera is adequate if you do not want to print. Image quality is clearly evident when you properly print an image, and that is why you should use the 5MP more often, just in case you might want to print a really nice image. For larger prints, a 8MP is good, like the Canon XT.
ignitef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:46 AM   #3

Thanks for┬* the information.Since the resolution of the images from almost any digital camera will be bigger than what can be displayed on all but the biggest computer screens, and will look good when 'reduced' to accomodate to the screen, there is no reason to use digital cameras with resolutions higher than 3-5M, correct? If new high res cameras also include other new desirable features, that of course would be a new ball game.One should look for reports on image quality, lens quality, ect. in reviews, I imagine therefore.
Rube39 is offline   Reply With Quote