Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:36 PM   #1

I'm trying to decide on a first camera that i can get into photography with. The one camera im really eying is the canon s60 which i can get for 380 canadian. thats even cheaper then the a95 is so it seems like it would be worthwhile. does anyone have any advice if its worth going with the s60? or would it be a better idea to start with something else. i've heard some sony's are good but really lack the manual control, same with nikon. I'm only looking for camera's that aren't to steep in price.

Thanks

Dan
mattisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:54 PM   #2

I think an S60 would be as good a starter as any -- and better than many others. It is one of the few smaller digicams that has a wide-angle zoom lens, and also has manual exposure controls. If one day you decide to really get into photography and get a dslr, you will still have a nice backup camera that will be much easier to carry around on a daily basis.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:57 PM   #3

I agree. You can't do better for that price if you want to learn photography and have something you can always have with you.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:43 AM   #4

so, it wouldn't be a good idea to start off with a point and shoot? thats the other option, i could get a small minolta or olympus.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:49 AM   #5

The S60 works fine as a point and shoot. If by saying "get into photography" you mean you want to get a camera you just point and shoot and never intend to progress beyond that, then you can get an easier to carry camera than the S60. It won't take better pictures than the S60 in point and shoot mode and it won't have wide angle capability, but you can get a smaller camera.

A digital camera is an extremely good learning tool for photography. You can take a thousand pictures a week with different settings and get instant feedback. You can take fine photos with a P&S, and have reasonable capabilities with EV shift and spot metering. But manual controls give you a little more versatility and the opportunity to see how they affect the picture. Most scene modes are worthless once you learn what you are doing with a competent camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:36 PM   #6

Check this out, it speaks for itself, I am testing it now, LCD works in lowest of light (usually when other cameras EVF & LCDshow black) Also, color,& clarity, are superb, along with great low light focusing, & blazing speed of operation. Try one for yourself!

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:08 PM   #7

im not really interested in going the kodak route. I'm sure they are good but i'm really not impressed by what i've seen.

Also, does the s60 have more shutter lag then most camera's? that wouild worry me a little bit. I looked up some reviews that say it has shutter lag but im not sure how it is compared to otjher digital cameras in the price range.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:58 PM   #8

Hey Mattisd, Kodak makes some awesome cams nowadays, go ahead check out the Canons, but be aware they havemore shutter lag, are slower focusing (Especially in low light) have a smallLCD (plus it doesn't gain up in low light) wait till you're at a dark indoor wedding, andyour LCDshows black, and a guy with a kodak is shooting merrily away.I found this all out the hard way,by accident.Plus the Z730 has 4Xzoom.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:10 PM   #9

thanks for the reply, i've just never been a fan of what i've read and seen with the few kodak's i've held. I'm sure they do make a good camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S60/S60PICS.HTM it says there that the s60 is good in dark area it has some light assist thing. most reviews seem to say its an excellent performer in most lighting.

The only thing that concerns me is shutter speed. I'm not sure what alternatives i have with full manual controls. especially at the price i can get this s60 at.

My bad i read it as soemthing else, i thought you were saying it didn't take good pictures in the dark.

Haven't heard of any lcd low light issues though only that its hard to see in direct sunlight.

Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:16 AM   #10

ok, so i am fairly sure that i am going for the the s60 and hopefully will be getting it very shortly. Could anyone point out if the fuji s5100 is better or worse then the canon. i've heard both good and bad things about it. Im wondering about performance and not size otherwise i wouldn't even look at these two.