Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:06 PM   #1

I am looking at buying a compact camera ... the three I'm looking at are the:

Canon SD500, Fuji F10, and the Nikon 7900. In what order (best to worst as far as picture quality, flash range and effectiveness, and lack of serious problems) would you buy them?

For me the following options are important: Flash Range, usable AF Assist Lamp, battery life, ease of use (menu's, etc.). I would prefer the SD memory format that the Canon & Nikon offer, but XD would work out ok. Also, I didn't really carefor thedongle (used to attach to the computer &for battery charging)that comes with the Fuji.

I really think for the money and reviews it is the F10, but wanted an extra kick in the right direction.

What would be the second best camera, and would it be a close or far second? Really like SD over the XD.

Thanks,

Steve
motosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2

i probably shouldn't even be trying to reply seeing as i don't have a camera yet. But i've been doing a lot of research on a whole bunch of cameras.

In my research i seemed to find that the for the point and clicks at least, canon has the upper hand for image quality. I've heard fuji's tends to have a bit too high contrast and the nikons are a bit less sharp then canon.

I dont know a lot about the other features again because im just trying to do my research but from what i've seen, the canon would be a nice pick because its images i believe are quite good for a camera of its type. Some people really like the nikon and others aren't really to pleased. I personally dont think you'd go wrong with any of them.
mattisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:35 PM   #3

I would go for the SD500 from what I read.
Did you give the Casio EX-Z750 a look? I found the Casio Exilim Siries has I think the best-in-class battery life... and it's a exellent camera, I would probably select it over the Canon SD500.
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:55 PM   #4

I really like Fuji cameras and the pictures they produce. I think the contrast is just right. Sonys really tend to over saturate IMO. The nice thing about the F10 is the Noise factor. It will have very little noise, creating very clean pictures. If low light shooting and flash range are important, I say the F10 easily wins. It's primary down side is the lack of manual shutter and apeature controls. It doesn't have an AF assist lamp, but from my experience with the e550, I can say it doesn't need it. It uses contrast focusing, and in dark situations, it may have an AF error, but take the picture any way. The camera still makes it's best attempt to focus, and very often, it's spot on.

However, if low light isn't important, and you find too many faults with the F10, then consider the others. The best way to see which pictures you like the best is to find a near idenical picture on the internet taken with each camera, and look at them with a critcal eye. You could do this on steve's site, but he hasn't reviewed the F10 yet.

Also, take into account the SD500 is a lot more expensive than the F10. Also, I'd easily plan on the Canon having more noise since the CCD is 1/1.8in vs the Fuji's 1/1.7in, and Canon is squeezing more pixels into the smaller sensor. Also, the Fuji has special revisions in it's 5th gen super CCD to prevent noise, which is why it can go all the way up to ISO1600. However, the Canon has more compression ratio choices, which is nice. Each one has pros and cons, you just have to weigh them for yourself.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:39 PM   #5

If you shoot a lot in the bright sun the lack of a viewfinder can be a hassle. You seem to be looking for point and shoot rather than something that offers manual controls. Image wise I think the F10 is the best of the lot and the high ISO capability gives a lot of versatility. Higher ISO will also extend the flash range at the cost of some noise.

I would personally prefer to have the viewfinder, and the SD500 would probably be my choice of the ones you listed.

I recently got a camera with a dock and like it a lot more than I thought I would. It would be a little more of a hassle for traveling.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 7:16 PM   #6

From what I've read, the F10's LCD brightness shoots up with the touch of a button, and makes it very usable in sunny situations. Though I agree, a viewfinder would be nice.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:58 PM   #7

Carskick wrote:
Quote:
From what I've read, the F10's LCD brightness shoots up with the touch of a button, and makes it very usable in sunny situations. Though I agree, a viewfinder would be nice.

In Simon's conclusions in the F10 review he listed under the disadvantages of the camera that "Screen can be hard to see in very bright light". So he either didn't find the switch or it doesn't help that much.

My Z750 has a bright setting for the display, but it isn't very good in bright sunlight either.

Since they stopped making the transreflective screens none of them are very good in sunlight.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:53 AM   #8

But Slipe-

Can your Z-750 take this photo? The Fuji F-10, did! And we have a wonderful result!

I have shot over 2,000 photos with my F-10, and I think it is a great digital camera for the price and the photos that it produces. It is the perfect companion to my Pentax 1stDS.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote