Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:41 PM   #1

Hello! About a month ago, i bought the Canon SD400 digital Elph camera. I originally intended to get the S500, based on fabulous reviews and results from friends' S410 cameras, but a friend told me that the new SD series is smaller, and better. I thought, ok.. that makes sense. its bound to be better than the old "s" series... Well, i got it and instantly noticed a soft 'fuzz' if you will on all photos. I had a feeling that it wasn't THAT great. Then my boyfriend and i went on vacation and he brought his S410 and i my SD400 and we took basically the same photos. When we got home, my suspicions were realized.. my photos were not as sharp as his! was i doing something wrong, or am i right, and did canon compromise something in their new design of a smaller compact camera??I thought about returning the SD400 and getting a S500 series instead, but isnt that camera about a year and a half old now? Will i be regressing? or will i be getting "the good ol' standard."? if anyone out there has any experience with the SD400 vs. the S500 please do gimme feedback. I've looked at sample images of the Sd400 online and i find the same blurry/soft standard. Im not happy with it at all. (BUT, it is nice and small and fast. but thats no reason to get a camera.. i want nice crisp photos!)* i know that im very impressed with my boyfriend's S410 photo quality and clarity. Especially in low light. But should i go for a camera that old?**Cheers!
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:22 AM   #2
wck

Sorry I'm not much help- I have the same question. I'm also considering the Canon A95 which seems very similar to the S500. When I compare the three side by side they seem to have very similar features, but I'm worried about the photo quality being compromised in the SD400. Thanks for your post. Makes me think I should steer clear of it.

wck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:32 AM   #3

I looked at some sample pics taken with the SD400, and they didn't look too good. I also compared the S410 and S500, and I thought the S410 took better pictures.

I've always felt that with digital cameras, good things don't come in small packages. However, I may have to modify my stance due to the Fuji F10. If you want excellent picture quality in a small package, the F10 is by far the best around. Check out some professional reviews and sample pictures...the Canons you are looking at don't even come close. If you are looking for manual controls, forget about it - the F10 is virtually devoid of manual functions. But if it's strictly picture quality in a compact format you seek, check it out.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4

Phew, so im not the only one who thinks theres a compromise in the picture quality for the SD400! Im thinking of moving away from canon now... I've heard alot of recommendations for Nikon. Better glass, better all around camera. ::sigh:: so hard to pick a digicam these days.. even if you know cameras/photography! And I'll be sure to check out some sample photos for the Fuji F10. thanks for the info all!
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote