Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:14 AM   #1

After about 4 years it´s time to retire my old Powershot S20. It has indeed served me well, and takes (in my opinion) great pictures, but the batteries are becoming bad, and the camera somtimes behaves a bit strange, especially when using the flash.

So I've been looking around a bit for a new camera. Since I really like both the handling and features of my current S20, I naturally began looking for a new Canon, and the S60 and s70 have gotten good reviews and have all the features I need.

But I have also looked at the Panasonic FZ25 and 12x zoom indeed looks nice, but I'm a bit worried about the size. I really think the S20 is about right in size, it could be a bit smaller, but since I have fairly large hands, i don't want some small minauture camera, like the real small Ixus-series.

My priorities are good picture quality, easy handling, not too big (nor to small). In short an upgraded version of my current camera. :-)

I don't need good filming quality (I have a DV camera).

I've heard rumors of a new "S80" coming out at the end of the summer. Should I wait for this, buy a S70, a FZ25 or something completely different?

Bergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:26 PM   #2

Bergling wrote:
Quote:
But I have also looked at the Panasonic FZ25 and 12x zoom indeed looks nice, but I'm a bit worried about the size.
Panasonic makes FZ's in two different sizes, and since there is no FZ25, I don't know which one you are referring to. At any rate, the FZ15 and 20 are large and heavy digicams, which is good for people who have large hands. The FZ3/4/5 are much smaller and lighter in weight. If it is these that you are worried about, then certainly the 15/20 will be much too large for you.

I can tell you that although I am 6'3"/225lbs. with hands to match, that the FZ3/4/5 are not too small at all, and in fact are much preferrable over the 15 and 20. For me, the few extra features of the 15/20 did not adequately compensate for having to lug that extra bulk. After all, if you are going to carry that much weight, you might as well get a smaller dslr.

I'm not sure why you would have problems in trying to decide between a small compact and an ultra-zoom. Either you need the extra zoom, or you don't....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:35 AM   #3

Sorry, I was referring to the FZ5, I don't know where the extra '2' came from. :-)

The trouble of choosing between an ultra-zoom and a compact lies more in the aspect of "will I get better photos with zoom"? I feel there is a bigger chance of actually bringing the camera if it's relatively small.

Anyway, I still have to actually feel the cameras to make any conclusions of wether the FZ5 is to large or not.
Bergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:51 AM   #4

I just bought a Canon S2, and its a bit bigger than my previous camera, a Fuji A202. So, to still be able to carry it around, I will just nou havebecome more "metrosexual" (what some ppl refer to as gay)and get a camera bag/handbag.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 2:52 AM   #5
Super Moderator

do check out fuji's f10 for it amazing high iso performance in a small package.. nothing in the p&s category can compete in low light.. and its 6.3 mp sensor produces images that easily compete w/ the current crop of 7.1mps..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote