Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1

Please, especially people who actually have these cameras, help me decide (yes I've read Steve's reviews).

I'm looking for a camera with a zoom 8X or above. I want ones with some "pro" features like apperature and shutter priority and long shutter times for night shots, but it needs to be fairly compact so SLRs are out (too expensive anyways).
Right now I like these cameras, in order by preference, for these reasons:

* Panasonic DMC-FZ4 or FZ5: 12x zoom, Image stabilization.
* Olympus C-770: Possibly the smallest 10X zoom camera on the market, VGA 30fps video.
* Kodak DX7590: Arguably better image quality than the two above. 10x zoom. Downside is it's larger than others listed here.
* Nikon 4800: Small, downside is only 8.3x zoom.

Any other recommendations of somewhat compact, big zoom cameras with a street price under $500 are welcome. I've looked at the Canon S2 IS an it's a tad too big and heavy. I know me and if it's too cumbersome I won't take it with me as often so it will see less use. The Minoltas are also a little too big and heavy. And the Sony DSC-H1 has too much purple fringing in the images.

TIA for your input.
orbhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:15 PM   #2

Althoughimage stabilization isn't the holy grail of photography that some think it is, it can help in certain situations. Of your four choices, only the Panny's have IS. If you are considering it, why not get it and have IS in case you need it?

If you want manual exposure modes, then you can cross the Nikon off your list.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:19 PM   #3

Just a reply to let readers of this thread know that I went ahead and bought the Panasonic DMC-FZ5. My decision was partially the result of Steve's review, dpreview.com, and my own evaluation of the camera at a local Ritz Camera store. Though I did not buy it from Ritz - they sell it at the full MSRP of $499. I found it online for $362 at Butterfly Photo, which is $137 off the Ritz/MSRP price. I was able to get two 256MB cards and a spare battery for less than the MSRP of the camera alone. The FZ5 produces better images than the Sony H1 (which has a high amount of purple fringing) and produces nearly or equally as good images as the Canon S2 IS, and is smaller, lighter and, in most cases, faster than either of those.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 4:43 AM   #4

Guess you didn't read this...

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=87

How was your buying experience at Butterfly? Did you buy their extras? Did you get your camera yet?

Just curious...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:03 AM   #5

orbhot wrote:
Quote:
Please, especially people who actually have these cameras, help me decide (yes I've read Steve's reviews).

I'm looking for a camera with a zoom 8X or above. I want ones with some "pro" features like apperature and shutter priority and long shutter times for night shots, but it needs to be fairly compact so SLRs are out (too expensive anyways).
Right now I like these cameras, in order by preference, for these reasons:

* Panasonic DMC-FZ4 or FZ5: 12x zoom, Image stabilization.
* Olympus C-770: Possibly the smallest 10X zoom camera on the market, VGA 30fps video.
* Kodak DX7590: Arguably better image quality than the two above. 10x zoom. Downside is it's larger than others listed here.
* Nikon 4800: Small, downside is only 8.3x zoom.

Any other recommendations of somewhat compact, big zoom cameras with a street price under $500 are welcome. I've looked at the Canon S2 IS an it's a tad too big and heavy. I know me and if it's too cumbersome I won't take it with me as often so it will see less use. The Minoltas are also a little too big and heavy. And the Sony DSC-H1 has too much purple fringing in the images.

TIA for your input.
Hi Everyone,

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 1:06 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:47 PM   #6

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Guess you didn't read this...

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=87

How was your buying experience at Butterfly? Did you buy their extras? Did you get your camera yet?

Just curious...

the Hun
I had no problems whatsoever with Butterfly. I ordered by phone and the rep even agreed to match the spare battery price I had found elsewhere. I received the camera from FedEx today which is pretty good considering I only orderd it 3 business days ago.
Here's one of the first pics I took with it, a wasp in my front yard.

Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:22 AM   #7

congratulations, I myself have FZ5, it is small (although not smallest) but I really want one with IS, and the pix that comes out is really good.
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote