Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:59 PM   #1

hey guys, i'm new to this forum. my fujifilm f700 just broke after 1.5 years of service. i think it's something with the lens, as when i turn it on i get these squigly lines going across the screen, so those are the images i get when i try to take a picture. it would cost me $200 and 6 weeks of downtime (i'm going on vacation in 3 weeks, need it by then) so getting it fixed isn't really an option.

as a replacement, i'm mainly considering the fujifilm f810 and canon s70. i was very happy with my f700 before it broke, so that's why i'm considering the f810. it's mainly the same thing, just able to shoot 16:9 and has 4x optical zoom instead of 3x like the f700. plus i could reuse my xd card so i woudn't have to get another one. the s70 i've heard nothing but great things about, but i'd have to get a new cf card since i don't have any. i use the camera mainly for a) shooting sports (snowboarding, mountain biking, etc) and b) for shooting wilderness, forests and the like. i need the camera to be small enough to fit in my pocket and be around $400, preferably with memory card included. i can spend more if necessary. my memory cards of choice are xd first and sd second, but i can buy another format if necessary. i'd like to have full-manual control, or at least as much as my f700 had. i don't often print out my pictures, but 5mp would be fine for me. also, i'd like to have a good movie mode. my f700 had vga at 30fps for the entire memory card. i'd like to have something like that, or better.

thanks
jnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:29 PM   #2

i also was just looking at the panasonic dmc-lz2 and fx7. what's the difference between the 2 other than the 6x zoom on the lz2? why is the fx7 more expensive than the lz2 is even though the lz2 has twice the zoom the fx7 has? my grandpa has the fx7 and it's nice, but i like my f700 much more. is the lz2 very similiar to the fx7? what's the movie mode on it like? does it have a lot of manual controls?

thanks, i know it's a lot of questions.

EDIT
ok never mind about those 2 cameras. i looked at them and wasn't too impressed. right now i'm looking at the casio ex-z57 amd ex-z750. what are the main differences between them? i compared them on casio's site and didn't really understand what makes the ex-z750 cost $100 more than the ex-z57...

thanks
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:51 AM   #3

ok, the canon sd400 also looks really nice. i'm still not sure as to the difference between the z57 and z750, but i'll probably be picking out of those 3 camera's. which has the best quality photo's? i've heard many great things about casio's movie mode, but i'm still unsure as to what makes it so special. whic would you guys pick?

thanks
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:44 AM   #4

I can give you a little insight on the Z750 and Z57. The Z57 is a pure point and shoot with no viewfinder. It has the largest LCD of any small camera I know of. Movie mode is pitiful at 320 X 240 @ 15fps. It is a 5Mp camera, which is plenty for most people. It is lighter than the Z750.

The Z750 is a marvel of miniaturization. It has a 2.5 inch LCD and they still managed to fit a small viewfinder. I don't think the viewfinder would work for anyone who wears glasses for distance vision though as it is probably too small to use with glasses and there is no diopter correction. My only complaint with the viewfinder is that it doesn't have a spot metering area marked.

It has full manual everything if you want to use it and incredibly good controls for a small camera. The 7Mp sensor is very good. Movies are excellent and with MPEG4 take only a quarter of the memory space compared to cameras with the same high rate and resolution without MPEG4. I really like the past movie mode. You can wait for something to happen and then push the record. It records the previous 5 seconds and then records until you stop it. So you don't have to grind away waiting for something to happen.

Some users have developed lens errors with the Z750 if it accidentally powers up in a pocket or case. They usually sort it out but a few have been returned. You can be sure to avoid that by carrying it with the mode dial in audio record, which doesn't extend the lens if it accidentally powers on. Some think they might have fixed it in newer released cameras, but I'm not sure of that.

Other than having to be concerned with lens errors it is a perfect little camera for me. If you don't use the manual modes it might be more camera than you need. It is the only tiny camera with both a 2.5 inch LCD and a viewfinder though. The SD400 is a very good little camera as well. The Z750 scores higher in resolution tests, but that isn't something you would notice unless you had a large print made for the wall. The total pixels on the smaller SD400 screen is about the same as the larger Z750 screen, so you would see as much if you have good near vision. My near vision isn't great and I like the larger LCD.

Casio makes good use of their internal memory rather than come with a throw-away starter SD card. You can store a large permanent photo album for display on the screen. You can also store custom settings on the Z750 with a photo to remind you of the conditions you used for the settings.

If you are thinking of a Z750 plan on getting at least a 1Gb card for it. The best quality images are large and the battery runs forever. It will fill a 1Gb card with best quality images and still have power left.

Full aoto-focus shutter lag is considerably better on both Casios than the SD400. Otherwise the Canon is fairly quick. The SD400 doesn't have the battery life of the Casios either, but it will get about 150 pictures on a battery which is plenty IMO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:23 AM   #5

thanks for the response. does the z55 have the same movie mode as the z57? does it also have the manual controls of the z750? i'd prefer not to spend $400 on the z750 since i really have no use for 7mp, but i need a vga 30fps movie mode and full manual controls. do the camera's also have the tripod attachment thingy?

thanks
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:58 PM   #6

bump..