Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:35 AM   #1

I am trying to decide which camera to buy the Sony H1 or the Panasonic FZ20.

They seem very similar.

When using the manual focus on the H1,how easy is it to focus? The focus ring on the FZ20 seems more accurate or adjustable.

What is your opinion on the picture quality, in the fully automatic mode, of the two cameras.

Thanks, Kitten

kittenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 3:40 AM   #2

from what i've read, manual focus is not terribly important since your LCD is not high enough resolution to accurately use manual focus, so i wouldn't place much weight on that factor. Also, from what i understand, the Sony uses memorystick pro? i prefer the more generic SD on the Panasonic.
shadow-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:59 AM   #3

The Sony H-1 has not done very well in the reviews at all. The FZ-20 is a much better camera.

For the long haul, you may want to consider one of the lower priced dSLR's because you would have much better optical performance and the edge of interchangeable lenses.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:58 PM   #4

Now I have to take back the negative thing I said about the Sony H-1. I read a review at www.megapixel.net today that was very positive about the H-1.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:06 PM   #5

:-) Honestly, after reading the posts on here and having owned the Canon S1 and now S2, and working with Sony on the H1 and knowing the history of Panasonic (not having been out very long in cameras at all), the canon is far better. Read the posts online in the thread about the H1 vs the Canon S2.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:57 PM   #6

I have seen consistantly good shots from H1 owners since it hit the market. Especially,with the add-on lenses. Here's some samples:

http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/niedergottsau_2005
http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/kaltenberg_2005
http://www.mainecomputergroup.com/gallery/index.html
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14241296
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:09 PM   #7

Add on lense require more money. Sony has noted that their H1 is a low priority model and they don't even expect it to move very fast. PC Magazine, This site, consumer reports and shutterbug give the Canon S2 a higher rating.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:26 PM   #8

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Add on lense require more money. Sony has noted that their H1 is a low priority model and they don't even expect it to move very fast. PC Magazine, This site, consumer reports and shutterbug give the Canon S2 a higher rating.
As they do with any camera including the S2. My point is that if the user chooses to buy them they perform exceptionally well on the H1 and extends the range from around 25mm out to 700-1000mm. Also, relying on reviews from sources like PC Magazine is not wise. They should stick to what they know, PC's. Some of their camera reviews are laughable. Also, the H1 is a new model. Why would Sony considers it a low priority? That makes no sense to me. If one of their "low priority" cameras performs this good maybe I should be checking out one of their "high priority" models.

I own a Canon DSLR and think they make fine cameras. I'm not brand bashing. What I have seen from the average person, taking average shots, with the H1 has impressed me more than the ones I have seen from the S2. We can argue about the features of each but in the end it is the pictures a camera produces, in day to day shooting by average people, that determine how I judge a P&S camera.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote