Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:36 PM   #1

I'm looking for something that most of you will likely consider ridiculously low end, but we already have a nice digital camera...

I'm looking for one that's super small & light (so I'll be more likely to take it with me wherever I go) and very inexpensive (so I won't worry about it breaking).

Application is simply snapshots - for photodocumentinglife in general - for publishing to web/blogs. If it's small and light enough, And if it's inexpensive enough, Image size isn't too important; anything over 800x600 will get downr-ez'd anyway.

Built-in flash is a must.
LCD is (very) optional
Media type is irrelevant - USB connectivity to internal memory is fine.
Self-timer would be nice to have.
Macro mode would be nice to have.

The BenQ DC1300 seems to be a pretty good example of what I'm looking for, although I can't find any decent reviews on it. At $60 it'scertainly no big deal if I break it. The sample photos on this site look perfectly adequate to me. Maybe this is the camera, but does anyone have any experience with it? Or alternate recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Donny Bahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:12 PM   #2

That looks like a neat little camera, and I doubt you could do better for your particular needs. I just thought I would mention that Philips made a very small digicam that looks something like a USB flash drive. I don't know the model name, but it might be worth your time to search.

Sony made the "U" series a while back, and these are quite small but take very good photos. My wife keeps a U20 in her purse at all times, for those unexpected shots...

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the response, Phil!

I checked out the Philips "key ring" cameras and it looks like image quality is fairly poor. (On par with a cell phone - I have a VGA camera built in to my cell phone and I find it unusable.) Thanks for the tip on the Sony Cybershot U series - those look absolutely perfect for me. Now if I can only find one for < $100.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:13 AM   #4

the U series looks like it might be a bit hard to find.

pricegrabber only has the u30 refurbished for 220 :-\

froogle has the u10 for 190

sometimes ebay might have a NIB version

my friend actually has a u20, and he lost it in his car for a while- (it's suprisingly small) but the pictures on it are wonderful
sci0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:20 AM   #5

I got a u20 on ebay for $75 + shipping. It's in like new condition and the seller even threw in a 256MB mem stick for free - after the deal had closed! I should have it Thursday or Friday.