Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:17 AM   #1

Hey there people.

This is a very helpful forum. Now I must request the opinions of the experts.

I plan to spend $1,200 or less for a DSLR with lens.

The majority of the pics will be utilizing natural light (inside), artificial light for portraits and studio work.

I am at a crossroads with the Olympus E1, the Canon 350d, the Minolta Konica Maxxum 7D, and the Pentax *ist Ds.

Any suggestions? Am I overlooking any other cams?

THANKS!

Konceptz

konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the 350d is one of the best bargains on the planet right now.. image quality is nearly on par with my much more expensive 20d.. and their is a wide selection of lenses, flashes, and other accessories from Canon EOS line.. not to mention third party vendors such as sigma and tamron..

i think you would be served well with any of the dslrs from the major makers.. but myself, i have been particularly impressed with the 350d in terms of value.. i am amazed at the image quality and functionality at such a low price..

get down to your local pro store and try a few of them out.. see what ya think...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:09 AM   #3

While I am not an expert I will put my 2 cents in. The 7d you mentioned is well over your price range and quite large if you ever take it out of your controlled situations. The e-1 is at the top end of the price rangeand getting lenses for it (even with sigma joining the 3/4 club) will be somewhat exspensive and difficult in smaller towns. It is the sturdiest of the cameras that you mentioned however and has great image quality from a 5mp sensor. That leaves the ist ds and the 350d. Both are small, light weight and perform rather well. The 350d has slightly better jpeg qualityand slightly faster performance and more mp (the mp part is less important than the first two advantages). The ist ds is built better, has a much better view finder, about the same raw quality as the 350d,and has better support when it comes to old manual focus lenses (wich can be very sharp and pretty cheap) The istds also is a couple hundred dollars cheaper wich leaves room for a better lense than the kit 18-50--the pentax and canon kit lenses are both just ok. I bought a istds even though Ishot with a rebel ti and had a couple canon lenses laying around. The deciding factor was the feel of the camera and the price even thouhg the sale person did not want to show it at all. If you only want to shoot jpeg and like the feel of the 350d - go for it, otherwise the istds performs very well - especially with a 30 dollar m50 1.7. The nikon d70 is a faster, larger version of the ds (same sensor - from sony) and got great reviews. Another one to consider would be the sigma sd10- everyone says it is amazing in controlled situations - less so in the field. The nikon n50 and the ist dl are not worth it considering the small savings compared to the step up models. Godd luck on your decision, I take myist ds everywhere and lve the results althogh I prob would of as well with the350d.
amicah22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:12 AM   #4
Super Moderator

the pentax stds is a good camera.. and if you are comparing raw files, the 350d still takes the nod since you can really take advantage of the extra megapixels.. the only other factor to consider is the EOS system is more diverse than the pentax and offeres image stabilized lenses and such..
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:11 AM   #5

hards-

It will be interesting to see how the K-M 5D affects the stabilized lens market when it incorpoates the IS feature in the sensor rather than the lens. It is too early to tell as we really have not seem the KM 5D nor a review as yet.

But there are lots of people out there, myself included, that would love to do without the extra and added expense of incorporating IS into a lens.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:16 AM   #6

The KM 5D will be Minolta's second camera to have stabilization in the camera, the KM 7D was the first.
So far stabilization in the body is an oddity the the other vendors are trying hard to ignore. Big profits in over-priced lenses to be lost if it becomes popular.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:58 PM   #7

peter

Nope! Internal stabilization was alsom available inthe K-M A2 and the A-200.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:00 PM   #8
Super Moderator

the only problem i see is that as of yet, there is no panning mode with a built in stabilizer.. and i am not sure if it can be incorporated... its also inherently at a bitof a disadvantage as having thesensors/gyros closer to the end of thelens istechnically superior... but i do believe it will be successful and wish minolta the best, cuz a little friendly competition can only benefit us all..
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:43 PM   #9

Yup! The a2 and a-200 are highish -end prosumer Point and Shoots, the 7D was the first DSLR with internal image stabilazation.

Many other manfacturers also make Point and Shoots with image stabilazation built in, it is not a new innovation by Minolta in them.

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
peter

Nope! Internal stabilization was alsom available inthe K-M A2 and the A-200.

Sarah Joyce
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:07 AM   #10

Not to beat a dead horse, but my K-M A1 was I believe the 1st th have internal sensor IS....
HornOUBet is offline   Reply With Quote