Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2005, 5:09 PM   #1
AWF

Hello! I've been reading digital camera reviews online, and this site is awesome. I feel a little overwhelmed though, and would really appreciate some help!

I wantto replace my non-digital Nikon SLR 8008s (great camera)and my old 2 Megapixel digital camera. I want to go all digital, and I want GREAT image quality. I have basic knowledge of photography and shot for my school paper in college, but I'm a little rusty.

My current obsession is to get a camera that will enable me to get beautiful portrait shots of my toddler son.Among other things, Ilike shots with low depth of field (blurred backgrounds), and I really need the ability to focus and light meter on something off center. I want to be able to do this focusing and light metering quickly and easily before my toddler son moves and I miss the picture! I may also take some travel shots of scenery, architecture, and family.

Some things I don't need are extreme macro ability, extreme telephoto ability, an SRL camera, or high-quality movies (I have a video camera). I also don't expect to be adding an external flash at any point. Fast shutter speeds, on the other hand, could come in handy with a toddler around!

I'd like a camera that is sturdy and feels reasonably solid in your hands, but is durable and not too bulky and heavy. I like the look of the Canon G6, but it is a bit expensive andit concerns me that it has a lens cap. This camera may get tossed in the diaper bag from time to time! I know the Canon can handle off-center focusing and light metering, but I'm not entirely clear on how it works and how easy it is.

Although the Canon G6 may be overkill in terms of all it can do, I want a camera for the long term, and I feel it would never be lacking in a feature I might want down the line. Does anyone know of alternatives to the G6 that might be a little cheaper but still meet my needs with room to grow? What about a used G5 (I haven't researched the G5)? I have read up on the Olympus 7070 a bit (looks a little bulky, but it's cheaper at some online stores for some reason).

I appreciate any advice!

AWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:41 PM   #2

Both the G6 and7070 will give you "GREAT image quality", so one just has to decide whether or not a wide-angle zoom would be helpful. The 8080's wide lens would be helpful with your scenics, and indoor shots, and possibly the architecture shots if you don't mind some barreling. The7070 might be a bit more bulky, but the G6 isn't svelte. If you can handle the size of a G6, an 8080 shouldn't be any problem. You won't be able to stick either one in your shirt pocket.

You might remember that depth of field (DOF) is dependant on the focal length being used. The shorter the focal length, the greater the dof. Well, I hate to tell ya, but digicams use lenses that are very short in focal length. Therefore, great dof is much harder to come by. If you want easy dof, then you might stick to film.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:12 PM   #3
AWF

Thanks for the info! I think I have written in my notes that the G6 goes down to f 2.0 and the 7070 to 2.8. Would those give me the out of focus background I like? Or is it different with digital? Which brings me to another concern I have - focusing. Do you know which of these two cameras makes focusing on an off-center subject easier? Maybe I need to go to a camera store and try it? Sounds like it's not as easy as with a film camera.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:20 PM   #4

AWF wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I think I have written in my notes that the G6 goes down to f 2.0 and the 7070 to 2.8. Would those give me the out of focus background I like? Or is it different with digital? Which brings me to another concern I have - focusing. Do you know which of these two cameras makes focusing on an off-center subject easier? Maybe I need to go to a camera store and try it? Sounds like it's not as easy as with a film camera.

Thanks again!
HAve used all of the Canon "G" series camera's since the G2 and ALL have never failed me. The G6 has proved to be the best so far with image quality and it's all about the overall "output", with Canon's lens being considered the best in the world to excellent ability to focus on all of the available focus points.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:34 PM   #5
AWF

Thanks. I have been doing lots more reading, and am about decided on the G6. I've just heard so many great things about it and very few drawbacks. Now I'll just have to learn about all the controls and get comfortable with them. Then there's the matter of needing a new computer to hold and handleall these seven megapixel images I'm going to be taking... but that's another issue!