Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:06 PM   #1

Looking for a "small" camera that probably doesn't exist.

I am currently using an Oly C4000. It consistently takes great pictures.

I want a smaller cameraable to take comparable pictures while on the dance floor at dance halls and bars that hold about 400 people. (i.e. fairly large room, low light, flash required) The Oly is a bit bulky to use there.

Any recommendations?

I am looking at the Sony P200. Is this a good one for this use? Anything better?

Thanks for any input.
Old Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 6:28 PM   #2

It seems to me that the short flash range of the P200 would be a hinderance to someone taking pics in a dance hall. The 200's flash won't even reach 4 meters. You might consider something with a more powerful flash, since it seems like you will be relying on that. A Canon SD500 has a slightly more powerful flash, and the Fuji F-10 has a flash that will go 6.5m. The F-10 also has the advantage of having enough ISO to take indoor shots without flash.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 4:39 PM   #3

No small camera, or large for that matter, will have enough flash power to light up a 400 person room. I have the P200 and find it has excellent low light focusing ablility and the flash is good to 12'-15'. It has an optional slave flash that fits on the camera very neatly and extends the flash's range to around 20'. Here's a link for the slave flash: http://tinyurl.com/c27x3

The other camera I would look at is the Fuji F10 which has a higher usable ISO which helps with low light situations.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:07 AM   #4

For an under $(US) 300 digital camera the, Fuji F-10, is well worth considering. It has a flash range out to 25-28 feet due to it higher ISO capability. It also does very well in no flash/existing light situations as well.

Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:07 AM   #5

For an under $(US) 300 digital camera the, Fuji F-10, is well worth considering. It has a flash range out to 25-28 feet due to it higher ISO capability. It also does very well in no flash/existing light situations as well.

Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote