Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:17 AM   #1

Hello,
I need your help to deside which camera I should choose. I can take olympus c760 or sony v1. I know this is two different type of cameras, but I have some advantages for both cameras so I cannot decide which one should I choose. Advatages of sony is because it is 5mp, it is a little smaller. Advantages of olympus are that it has 10x optical zoom, bigger lcd 1.8', but is is very big and unconfortable to bring with yourself everyday, it has 3.2 mp.

Main thing which I have to know is the quality of pictures they make. I already saw pics from olympus and they are very good, almost great. Pics from sony I havent seen so dont know if they are maybe better or not in compare to those ones?
BadHabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:23 AM   #2

Assuming both cameras take great pictures, and are the same exact price, which would you choose? I'm trying to detremine what is more important to you...zoom or picture quality.

There isn't much of a size difference between these two cameras. Apparently, size is a major consideration for you, so if that's a fact, there are smaller cameras out there with comparable or better picture quality. If you need a megazoom, you'll have a hard time finding one in an ultracompact format.

The Sony is a discontinued model. The C-765UZ offers 4 MP.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:15 AM   #3

I am sorry but didn't understand which one do you think has better picture quality, because that is main thing I am looking for.

I don't care much about ultra zoom. It is good thing, but not so importante for me.

I think you havent understood that olympus I am considering is c760 with 3mp, not c765 with 4mp.

Also I am considering about battery which comes with sony, because it is an discounted modell so I dont know if I will be able to buy this type of battery in an few years?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:15 AM   #4

I am sorry but didn't understand which one do you think has better picture quality, because that is main thing I am looking for.

I don't care much about ultra zoom. It is good thing, but not so importante for me.

I think you havent understood that olympus I am considering is c760 with 3mp, not c765 with 4mp.

Also I am considering about battery which comes with sony, because it is an discounted modell so I dont know if I will be able to buy this type of battery in an few years?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:37 AM   #5

Hi Badhabit: Could you please clarify? The Hun is right, the C765 & C770 have 4.1MP and the Sony is a discontinued model. And the C765/C770 are one of the smallest superzooms in size. But there is no Oly "C760" model that is sold in the USA. The prior model was the C750, and the same camera was prodced for Costco as a C755; but I'm not familiar with a "C760". Whois selling this model??

As an owner of both Oly and Sony cameras, I can say I usemy Olys about 10 times more often than the Sony.

The superzooms take great photos, and the reach of the lens comes in handy more often than you may think. My recomendation is to try out 3 superzoom that are compact and take good photos: OlyC765; Oly C770; and the Fuji S5100.

Try them out and see how they feel to you. They are all good value for the money. You would have to spend more money to improve on them.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...uji_s5100.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c765uz.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c770uz.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:54 PM   #6

This is the camera I am talking about. So, there is that model. I know it isnt so often, but there is that model, and it is some kind of smallest uz model. I saw it live and use it and it takes great pictures, but even it is one of the smallest uz model, it isnt so small and there is very big objective, at the front side which have to be so big because of 10x optical zoom, but which makes this camera very big for everyday use. Sony is pretty same size but without that objective which is on the front side, so I think it can be carried easier than Olympus. Sorry for writing so long, so I will try to ask only essential question i already did.

If you take at the side everything else beside picture quality, and by picture quality I mean primary sharpness of pictures, which one is better?

Because I live in Europe I dont think you could help me about buying battery in few years from now?

I am sorry for my bad english.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:37 PM   #7

Habbit,

I understand you are looking at the C-760UZ. I was suggesting you look at the C-765UZ, since it has the same dimensions and weight as the 760, but has 4.2 MP instead of 3.3 MP. However, since you think that the 760 is too large for you (not really much bigger than the Sony V1), I think you should forget about megazoom cameras, and focus on high resolution compacts.

I personally wouldn't buy a discontinued camera model, because of potential lack of support, accessories, etc. The Sony V1 is a discontinued model.

I don't know what the picture quality is like in the V1, but the C-765 is very good.

If you're looking for a compact with excellent picture quality, take a look at the Fuji F10.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:35 PM   #8

You will find that almost all of the images taken by major brand name cameras are very good. There are subtle differences if you blow them up so you have to scroll around the screen to see the entire picture.

The Sony V1 is an excellent little camera. Full auto-focus lag is much better than the long lens Olympus cameras. It also has faster cycle times. I think it is the smallest camera made with a hotshoe for an external flash. And an inexpensive flash attachment can improve your flash photography by a good bit. It has a unique and accurate holographic focusing system for low light and you can see things in the LCD when it is too dark to see them with your eyes.

There are no reviews on the 760UZ that I can find, and the lens system is different from the others. It is 42-420mm equivalent where the others are all 38-380mm. I have no idea why there are so few of them and wouldn't want to comment on the picture quality compared to the V1. I doubt that Olympus released a camera with poor picture quality though. You can go through some of the pictures taken with the camera. Click on the thumbnails for the picture, and then click at the top to go to their galleries. Click on "More" for more for the next group: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/c760_uz

There are a lot more for the V1: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_v1

Keep in mind that many of these pictures are taken by less than expert photographers. Both cameras have excellent controls, and you can do very well if you learn to use them.

The objective lens sticking out in front of the camera has nothing to do with carrying it except when it is turned on and in use. You don't usually walk around with the lens extended. Most of them turn themselves back off and retract the lens in a short while to save the battery.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:01 PM   #9

Okay,I didn't realize that Badhabit lives in Europe, now it makes sense. The C760 is not available in the UnitedStates per Olympus USA.(unless it is sold by a grey market dealer.)

It appears touse thesame body as the C765, but with less MP, and different lens.

And Slipe is right aboutdigicams lens retracting into their bodies; you judge the compactness when the camera is turned off.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 3:52 AM   #10

@rinniethehun

Quote:
Habbit,

I understand you are looking at the C-760UZ. I was suggesting you look at the C-765UZ, since it has the same dimensions and weight as the 760, but has 4.2 MP instead of 3.3 MP.
Thank you for this advice, but I can choose only between these two cameras, c-760uz and v1.

Quote:
However, since you think that the 760 is too large for you (not really much bigger than the Sony V1), I think you should forget about megazoom cameras, and focus on high resolution compacts.
One and only thing I can't make any compromise is picture quality. Everything else is less important. So if sony is making less quality pictures than that olympus c-760, I won't think about it anymore. If pictures are at least equal, than my next parameter is size and it is very important to me. I already sad that I was using that c-760 and saw its size and main problem is objective which even when camera is off is very big and very hard to put in any everyday bag. I was looking for size of v1 and if those parameters are correct than it is generally smaller.

Olympus c-760 uz - 104.5mm x 60mm x 68.5mm
SOny v1 - 99 x 65 x 57 mm

Sony isn't small camera at all, but I think it's the biggest camera which still could be carried with me everyday.

Quote:
I personally wouldn't buy a discontinued camera model, because of potential lack of support, accessories, etc. The Sony V1 is a discontinued model.
Yes, that's what I am affraiding of too.

Quote:
I don't know what the picture quality is like in the V1, but the C-765 is very good.
Yes, but c-760 and c-765 have different kinds of lens, so I suppose they could make different picture quality.

Quote:
If you're looking for a compact with excellent picture quality, take a look at the Fuji F10.
I am sure it is a good camera if you say it is, but I don't like Fuji so, thanks, but no thanks.

@slipe

Quote:
You will find that almost all of the images taken by major brand name cameras are very good. There are subtle differences if you blow them up so you have to scroll around the screen to see the entire picture.
Yes. you're right, but until now I had canon a70 and I thought it has great pictures. Than I saw pictures from Olympus c-760 and I couldn't believe the difference.

Quote:
The Sony V1 is an excellent little camera. Full auto-focus lag is much better than the long lens Olympus cameras. It also has faster cycle times. I think it is the smallest camera made with a hotshoe for an external flash. And an inexpensive flash attachment can improve your flash photography by a good bit. It has a unique and accurate holographic focusing system for low light and you can see things in the LCD when it is too dark to see them with your eyes.
Thanks for all that.

Quote:
There are no reviews on the 760UZ that I can find, and the lens system is different from the others. It is 42-420mm equivalent where the others are all 38-380mm. I have no idea why there are so few of them and wouldn't want to comment on the picture quality compared to the V1. I doubt that Olympus released a camera with poor picture quality though.
I was using c50 zoom, and I wasn't satisfied with pictures at all.

Quote:
You can go through some of the pictures taken with the camera. Click on the thumbnails for the picture, and then click at the top to go to their galleries. Click on "More" for more for the next group: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/c760_uz

There are a lot more for the V1: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_v1

Keep in mind that many of these pictures are taken by less than expert photographers. Both cameras have excellent controls, and you can do very well if you learn to use them.
Thank you for this. Unfortunately after this I am just more confused. I haven't seen all these pictures, but these I have doesnt look so good for me. I guess it is because, as you said little less photographers but still I am not sure why are those so not good.

Quote:
The objective lens sticking out in front of the camera has nothing to do with carrying it except when it is turned on and in use. You don't usually walk around with the lens extended. Most of them turn themselves back off and retract the lens in a short while to save the battery.
Yes I know that:-). I thought that when they are off sony, I suppose, has little less depth.

@Steven R

Quote:
Okay, I didn't realize that Badhabit lives in Europe, now it makes sense. The C760 is not available in the United States per Olympus USA. (unless it is sold by a grey market dealer.)

It appears to use the same body as the C765, but with less MP, and different lens.

And Slipe is right about digicams lens retracting into their bodies; you judge the compactness when the camera is turned off.
Exactly, but unfortunately I saw only c-760 live, and that sony I haven't, so I cannot compare it live. i could only compare it with those numbers from the Internet, so I am confused. You already told that you has both these cameras, so I was wondering if this is not too much bother for you, if you could somehow, with some third camera, or mobile phone or something like this, to take picture of them from the side so that I could see how Olympus is really longer. I said if you can, so if this is too much bothering for you, I will understand. And if you can tell me one more time, which one takes better pictures, sony or Olympus?

Here are some pictures I personaly made with that olympus c760 and resize it because of the size to 1024x768.