Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:01 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm about to buy me a new digicam. The one I chose is the Olympus C-770. Every test says that the pictures are great, and it has some gimmicks I realls appreciate, such as the possibility to work with a stronger external flashlight.

On the other hand the Olympus doesn't have an immage stabilizer. Ok, if you know that you can deal with it. But the newer cameras have such systems "on board" and get so small that they allmost fit in jeans pockets ...

So what do you reccommend : Buy now or wait for another camera ? Can those compact cameras compete with a C-770 ? And how would you rate the picture quality of a C-770 compared to a Canon G 6 ?

Some words about my expectations : Usually I don't change much, most of the time, the automatic settings are just fine with me, so most of the time a camera such as a Canon Ixus would be sufficient. Nevertheless I'd like to have the possibility to adjust the camera manually for some special occasions (f. e. night shots). I take photographs indoors and outdoors, of people as well as landscape, and from time to time I try some "artistic" photographs as well ... :roll:

Actually I work with a Canon Powershot A 40 and till now I was quite satisfied. But now I want a little more ...

Thank you for your advice !

Sincerely,

Huba.

P.S.: Please excuse my poor English; I hope I could make myself understood .
Huba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2

Huba-

I own the twin to the Olympus 770, the Olympus C-765. The lack of IS does not bother me at all. However, I find that the C-765, and I would assume the 770 as well because they are indeed quite similiar, fails to focus well when the ambient light falls.

The C-765/C-770 are curently the smallest ultra zoom digital cameras on the market currently and they are good digital cameras if you can live with their limitations.

Here is a sample digital photo taken with the C-765, showing what the camera is capable of under good lighting conditions.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:40 AM   #3

speaklightly wrote:
Quote:
I own the twin to the Olympus 770, the Olympus C-765. The lack of IS does not bother me at all. However, I find that the C-765, and I would assume the 770 as well because they are indeed quite similiar, fails to focus well when the ambient light falls.

The C-765/C-770 are curently the smallest ultra zoom digital cameras on the market currently and they are good digital cameras if you can live with their limitations.
Hi, Sarah,

that's just why I came up with the C-700 : It's not as big as many other UZ cameras - an UZ camera which takes (allmost) perfect pictures with a body that still fits in a pocket (well : a coats's pocket ... :-) ) !

However, is there any workaround concerning the difficulties of fokussing in low light conditions ? How do you handle this ? Even my good old Powershot A 40 has an auxiliary light especially for this purpose !?! :?:
BTW : Is the C-700 able to control (power, distance, etc.) the FL-20 or - even better - the FL-50 external flash ? :|

MTIA !

Joachim.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

Come on ... !

[size=5]46 views an just o n e ( ! ) reply !

I'd appreciate some more opinions - what do you think ?

MTIA !

Huba.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5

huba-

The FL-50 is clearly the better flash and it will help. However, the C-770/C-765 just has a very hard time focusing in low light. There is no getting around that problem.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:02 PM   #6

One of my digicams is a Oly superzoom, and it has produced excellent photos. There are times that the long reach of the lens will come in very handy.

It will require practice and a steady hand in low light at the high end of the zoom range. As far as low light focus, itmay not the best, but neither is it the worst in this price range. For 99% of your typical shooting situations, you would not trade it for another camera in its price range.

Good luck in your decision.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote