Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:24 AM   #1

I'm interested to buy

Canon Rebel EOS 350D XT with some lens.

What should be included into usuall packing, what could i buy latter and what lens should be included to have possibilities as on digital cameraswith optic-zoom of 6x or maybe 10x.

Since i'm not very good vith SLR cameras and did not use any of them please for easy explanation that i could understand.

thanks

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:52 AM   #2

Zakd-

Usually a dSLR can be purchased as "body ony" with no lens, or as a kit where there is the camera and a so called "Kit Lens." If you are interested in the Canon 350/XT, you should also consider the Pentax 1stDs, the K-M 5d, and the Nikon D-50.

Because I conduct dSLR workshops, I own the Canon 350/XT, the Canon 20D, the Nikon D-70, and the Pentax 1stDS. I tend to use the Pentax the most because I like it size, grip, and the excellent PentaPrism Viewfinder. The Canon 20D and the Nikon D-50 seem too large to me, personally. Like a lot of users, I am not particularly thrilled by the Canon 350/XT's minimized grip nor viewfinder.

You can usually expect the dSLR to arrive with the appropiate battery, charger, neck strap, and the necessary cabling to download photos as well as the instruction manual and a bit of complimentary software.

The selection of lenses is really a very personal thing. From your post, it appears that you are looking for a long zoom. The long zoom lens that I seem to use the most is a Sigma 70-300mm which, due to the APS sized sensor used in most dSLR cameras, equates to 105-450mm in actual use, thus giving me (with that lens) an effective 2X to 12+X optical range.

The big advanatges of dSLR camerasare their much higher available ISO range (in most cases, up to ISO 3200) without much increase in noise, their increased optical performance, and ease of use.

I have attached a no flash/existing light only, handheld,example photo taken with my Pentax 1stDS at about 100 feetat the Shanghai Acrobats show. It illustrates what a dSLR can do in a situation, that would have been nearly impossible for a fixed lens point and shoot digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

Sorry, light yellow text on a light blue background, I can't see it.

But from you topic I think you probably want a camera.:!:

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:47 AM   #4

Thanks for reply Sarah Joyce,

Maybe i did not understand but seams that you are selling the SLR cameras. In that case maybe I can address to you for possible shopping. Is it true or not.

Also, i have additional question:

there are different lenses for Canon EOS 350d or for any other SLR camera and the issue that interests me is explanation of Lens type and the prices difference such as:

EF-S 15-55mm f/3.5-5.6

35-80mm f4-5.6

80-200mm f4.5-5.6

28-80mm f3.5-5.6

what those numbers means and how those numbers effect on price and what is good among those numbers and what not.

thanks
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:33 AM   #5

ZAKD-

The leading set of numers on the lenses noted in your post are the zoom focal lengths, the trailing numbers are the lens apertures available on that lens. The first number in the aperture section is the aperture available at the lowest focal length, the second aperture is the aperture available at the highest focal length.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:36 AM   #6

If you do not understand those numbers I suggest that you buy a book on the basics of photography before you buy a DLSR camera.

Basically the mm numbers are the focal length range of the zoom lens. On most DLSRs something around 30 to 35 mm will give the same field of view as the human eye. Less than this is considered wide angle and gives a view that is wider than you would see with the naked eye. Longer and it's a telephoto lens giving a maginfied view, if 35mm is the standard then 70mm gives a 2x magnification.

The f numbers are the widest aperture available at the shortest and longest focal lengths. This is a measure of how much light the lens can let in which determines the ISO and shutter speed you can use in low light or to capture action.

There's a very simple explanation here by the late lamented Jim Church http://www.nightdivers.com/Herd/Jim-Church-Cows1.pdf
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7

Ah that is better, now I can read it! Thanks:!:

I agree with Nagasaki, If you are very new to the dslr world, a good book on the basics or taking an introductory seminar would be of great benifit before you make any decisions on what to look for.
It is a lot of money to spend if you are not sure what you are interested in yet.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:21 AM   #8

Dear ZAKD,

Yah, the idea of reading about theSLR and related matters is great. I did the same and found a great wealth of knowledge for a beginner in a book entitled: The Q&A Guide to Photo Techniques by Lee Frost. ISB-N-O-7153-1813-6. Check it out, it might be of great help. It discusses equipment, techniques and subjects.

Thanks.

Aumma45
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote