Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:49 AM   #1

Which camera should I buy? I'm considering the Konica Minolta Dimage G-600 (6

megapixel) and the Nikon Coolpix 7900 (7 megapixel). Both provide quality images but

I'm leaning towards the G-600 since it's about a 100 dollars cheaper. Will the G-600's 6

megapixel sensor become outdated by summer 2006? I want a digital camera now, but

I'm not sure about spending the money since I'm only going to use it for one week this

year. Since I'm planning to use the camera a lot during summer 2006, should I wait for

the 8mp Konica Minolta Dimage X1 to come out and decline in price? Please help.

Thanks.
anon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:32 PM   #2

I suggest you read this http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htmbefore getting too worked up about the number of megapixels.

As for a camera being outdated well yes there is always a new camera just round the corner. However if you wait for the next best thing you'll never own a camera. Also if you get a camera that you are happy with now that takes good pictures today the pictures it takes won't be any worse next month just because the manufacturer has released a new model.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the information.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Konica Minolta cameras?

Anyone have anything to say about the Hybrid Adaptive A*IPS image processor or GT

Hexanon lenses?

Between the

(1) Konica Minolta Dimage G-600

and the

(2) Olympus Stylus 800

which one would you buy?

I've read that to print out a decent 8 X 10 photo, you need at least 6 megapixels.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:19 PM   #4

Every company has their own image processor and lens system. Do you think there are going to be any major improvements in the quality of photos in the next year? Konica Minolta is putting the CxProcess III image processor in the Dimage X1 which is supposed to produce images with accurate colors as the photographer sees in reality. I've read that Canon's Digic II image processor is very fast and accurate. But do you think digital photography growth is slowing down? I heard so many good things about the Foveon's "revolutionary" X3 image processor, and I wasn't amazed when I saw sample pictures taken by the Polaroid x530 4mp camera incorporating it at http://www.pbase.com/cameras/polaroid/x530. Do you think now's a good time to buy a digital camera without worrying much about drastic future advancement?

However, by the end of this year, ATP is supposed to release a 4GB SD Card, and only new devices supporting the new SD System 1.1 can utilize it. ???
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:32 PM   #5

Shutter lag and cycle times are poor on the G600. Otherwise it is a competent camera with manual capabilities if you ever want to use them.

The Stylus 800 is too new to find any good data on. It has a fairly high resolution LCD but has no optical viewfinder. It is weatherproof and purely point and shoot. If I were buying a point and shoot with no viewfinder it would probably be a Fuji F10. I'm not sure how the HyperCrystal LCD on the Stylus 800 will work out, but I haven't seen one yet that is really capable in bright sunlight without it being transreflective. I like having a viewfinder. In any case I would wait for some good reviews to see how it performs.

I would guess the lenses on either camera are capable of taking excellent photos. I know the images from the G600 are good but I haven't seen any from the Stylus 800. Olympus makes excellent optics and I would be surprised if there is anything wrong with them.

3Mp will make an adequate 8 X 10. 5Mp will make an excellent 8 X 10 and I don't think you would see improvement over that. But you find you often have to crop, and that can increase your Mp requirement. Even with a little cropping 5Mp makes an excellent 8 X 10.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:54 PM   #6

Slipe, thanks for telling me about the poor shutter lag and cycle times. Does anyone think that the Konica Minolta is a good value for a sub-$250 6mp camera? I'm not sure if I should keep it on my "maybe buy" list since its speed is average/below average even though the pictures are very good. Do you think the slowness will be annoying or unbearable? I intend to use it mainly for travel photos, not sports or anything fast paced. According to imaging-resource.com, the shutter lag is 0.86 secs at full wide angle and 1.01 secs at full telephoto. The cycle time is about 3.18 seconds. The continuous burst mode is very very slow at 1 picture per 2.10 seconds, but I don't intend on using that feature at all.

I don't want to spend more than $250 on a camera (at least 6mp). Anyone have any suggestions or recommend the Dimage G-600? I need to make a decision within a week.

Please help. Thanks.

Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:54 PM   #7

anon-

The K-M G-600 is NOT a good deal at all. Personally, I would take great care to steer clear of the G-600. A much better digital camera in the point and shoot category has already been suggested by Slipe. It is the Fuji F-10.

The Fuji F-10 is indeed a very capable point and shoot digital camera. Here is a sample photo from the Fuji F-10 for your consideration.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice, but the problem with the Fujifilm F10 is that it uses xD cards. I forgot that the Olympus does also. I prefer a camera with SD card support since I have invested quite a bit on SD cards for previous cameras. Any more suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:36 PM   #9

PC Magazine gave the Dimage G600 a good rating but gave the Fujifilm F10 only a fair rating. The F10 is bulky for an ultracompact camera, produces daytime photos with significant noise problems, and has an subpar recycle time of 4 seconds. The good things about it though are its generous lines of resolution and tv quality 30fps video.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:54 PM   #10

anon-

Now let's put our money where our mouth really is... I gave you an excellent F-10 sample photo. Please be advised that I have many more great Fuji F-10 photos as well.

I am showing you sample photos and you are quoting random, and unconnected, portions ofl camera reviews that I cannot confirm. Perhap you will care to post a sample digital photo for us all to see and that be analyzed and appreciated.

Please get whichever digital camera you might desire, I was only sincerely attempting to help. Afterall, I am just a professional photographer who has been at this game for 50+ years and a person who has written and published three books on digital cameras.

By the way, here is a no flash/existing light, handheld digital photo from the Fuji F-10 for your reference. Can your camera do this??

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote