Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:48 AM   #1

Folks,

Great website and forum for discussing camera matters and the like. I am a complete novice in this world and recently acquired a 350D Canon. It has kick-started me in getting interested in photography that I took a course on the basics. Now, with more knowledge in the world of photography comes more interests in everything to do with photography. Quite excited about it. And lots of support too like this forum. Been reading it for quite a while.

I bought the 350D body only and added a Sigma lens 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 DC lense, a Canon 50mm F1.8 lense. Any wise word on these lenses?

I intend to add a Sigma 105mm F 2.8 for macro photography, a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 mid-range zoom lens and a Canon 70-200mm F4 L USM. Have read quite a bit on these lenses and have made up my mind to buy them. But added information is not bad form any one who might volunteer. In addition, is this combination good? Some one might say: it depends on what you want to do. True, sometimes you don't know what you want to do until you are well beyond the beginnings. I am aware that good pictures are the results of the person behind the camera, but good equipment is requisite indeed. That brings me to my question. For a low budget fellow, are these lenses a functional combination or would you suggest something else? Remember I am only a beginner.

Thanks.

Aumma45.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:07 PM   #2

Welcome to the never-ending cost of photography!

I can't comment on the Sigma but I have the Tamron 28-75 and the 70-200 F4L. I have good experiences with both lenses. I have the original 50mm 1.8 and its a great lens. I can't speak for the new Ef 50mm II lens.

Somelenses to consider. The Sigma 105 Macro is a good lens from what I read but think about what you want to photograph. Small "creatures" don't like to be approached too closely and a 105mm may not put you far enough away to be able to capture bees, butterflies, etc. Consider the Sigma 150 macro (new). This may keep you from spending twice. (I know, I have a EFS 60mm and find I need more reach) A friend has the Canon 100mm macro and can't seem to get close to flying insects.

Another lens to consider is a wide lens, like sigma's new 10-22 or Tokina's 12-24. I have the Tokina and it has opened up a new world of possibilities.

I do alot of indoor and people pics so my favorite lens is the EF 17-40L andit stays on my 20D 90% of the time.

Also, consider the Canon 28-135IS as a midrange. Has more reach and the IS helps a great deal with lighting issues when handholding the camera. The IS may negate the 2.8 of the Tamron.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the wealth of information. I have settled with these lenses. For a beginner: Tamron 17-35mm, Sigma 24-70, Canon 760-200mm F/4 L and Sigma Macro 105mm. This is not to mean the end, but rather, the basis to begin from. Thanks folks a great deal.

Cheers.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote