Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:11 AM   #1

I live in northern New Mexico where the sun shines bright about 300 days a year. I have a Nikon D-70 and a Nikon Coolpix 995 whose LCD's can not be viewed (by me) in this light. I want a "pocket" camera. The F-10 appears to fit my needs, though a little heavy.....except for the lack of viewfinder. What is the experience of other southwesterners with the F-10's LCD? I would appreciate hearing from owners who live with similar sunny skies.
mmrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:58 PM   #2

Iam not in the Southwest, just Oregon, but I have no problems at all with the Fuji F-10 after 1,458 shots.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:23 AM   #3

It depends on what you mean by visible. If you mean that you want to use it to frame the picture that you want, then it's completely usable. If you mean that you want to see the picture, including all detail and colour in full sun, it can be difficult. I still love the camera though, it just depends on what you expect.

Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Administrator

mmrudy wrote:
Quote:
I have a Nikon D-70 and a Nikon Coolpix 995 whose LCD's can not be viewed (by me) in this light.
Delkin iscoming out with a product that should work with your D70:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#eshade

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_pop_up_shade.html

For the CP 995, you may want to consider the Hoodman H180.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/hoods.asp

You can see a review of the Hoodman here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hoodman.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:37 PM   #5

I appreciate your responses. The hood information is very useful and I plan to follow up asap. Sylorna's response was not encouraging. I've read that the F-10's LCD can be brightened and was hoping this would over come the disappearance of the LCD in bright sunlight, (of course, it's overcast today, the monsoons are here.) I'm going to repost on the Fuji forum.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:36 AM   #6

I may have answered my own question. Bought a Kodak V550 because of its small size, viewfinder, and large, bright LCD. Took it with me between 9-10 this am. It's a partly cloudy day. Could not see the LCD to do more that vaguely set up a shot. This is due in part to my glasses which have transition lenses and become quite dark outside. The viewfinder was not a great help IMHO. When I used it, I missed my subject completely! I did take a few shots from shaded vantages. The LCD was wonderfully visible. Now to read the manual :lol:.

I still want the Fuji F-10. The natural light feature is useful for a fiber artist as many photos are taken indoors, no flash allowed. I'm going to see how far I can go with the Kodak at a weaving conference this week. Apparently it will take 800 iso's at low megapixels. That may be sufficient. I will be taking a mini-tripod--something I didn't know existed before reading the forums.

Hope these few remarks help others who may have to rely on LCD's, outdoors, and in sunny climes.