Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:51 PM   #11
Super Moderator

once you get the hang of it, you can change ISO on the fly quite quickly and easily..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:58 PM   #12

cool - I noticed at least some of the dslrs have iso buttons.

Thanks

-Tom
tomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:53 PM   #13

Tom and Rinnie-

It really was taken at ISO 3200 as my Paint Shop Pro Ver 9.0 reports. but none the less it is a rather great photo, eh what?

I hope you enjoyed it.

Sarah Joyce

Do you want to see more at ISO 3200? Try This!
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:50 AM   #14
Super Moderator

nice photos sarah..

the pentax does control noise well for its price range.. and i agree that it should be one of your top contenders.. but do give them all a try, i am a firm believer in try before you buy.. because any of this generation of cameras handle noise well.. but if you do alot of real low light work, teh pentax is the only one in this range that goes to 3200.. the others stop at 1600, but that is usually enough.. i rarely use the 3200 on my 20d..

good luck guys and thanks for adding some good examples sarah..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:44 AM   #15

Thanks for all the feedback, as well as the samples! I will definitely try to test some of the top contenders out. I'm patient and can wait a few months. I guess my short list for the time being is;
Nikon D50 or D70s
Canon Digital Rebel XT
Konica Minolta 5D (not out yet)
The Pentax 1stDS/or the newer lower priced one

Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:34 PM   #16

Just a small follow up..

I went to Circuit City today. Bad selection of cameras, only the D50 and Rebel XT on display. I also borrowed a D70 yesterday, that I am playing with.

I found that I really like the feel of the D70, and D50. The XT is too small, I can only grip with three of my right hand fingers, the fourth is left hanging.. I think this would be pretty uncomfortable to take photos with... Also, the D50 (and D70 of course) both feels less cheaply made.

I have definitely ruled out the XT, despite the higher resolution. DP just posted a review of the D50 as well, and not surprisingly, they rated it Highly Recommended, with some of the same justifications I have..

Now I'm just waiting for Steve's review
Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:54 PM   #17

tomes-

If you really want a point and shoot with near dSLR capabilites, then why not take a look at the Fuji F-10. It really is one heck of a digital camera.

Here is a sample night photo from the Fuji F-10, done on a recent Hong Kong trip.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:16 PM   #18

FANTASTIC picture, Sarah!

I was probably not very clear in my original post. From past experiences, I have been slow getting into photographing with anything else but Auto settings. However I still want to do that I just want it to have excellent P&S capabilities, so I can start off taking nice pictures, and more importantly, that it will be possible to take pictures very quickly when I am on trips with my family (who is not very patient..)

I have been playing with the D70 for a couple of days now, and REALLY like it. I have also come to realize that rather than have a 'be-it-all' requirement of taking pictures indoor without flash, a much better approach is to use flash correctly My friend also lent me his SB800 flash, and I just use it as a bounce flash, in Auto and P mode, with great results! (I found that on the D70, taking picures, even in fairly lowlight situations, I can get really nice pictuers on ISO 400&800, and using the SB800 as Bounce flash.

I'll keep look at other DSLR's - just know that I have ruled out the Rebel XT for now, due to the ergonomics (I never thought I would rule a camera out for that reason, go figure

However, I do suspect my wife would be more comfortable with a P&S, and certainly the Fuji's seem to be the way to go at this point, if you look for that.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:42 PM   #19

Tomes-

I have shot with the very best digital cameras available. I have been through the best of the best in the dSLR category, and everything else. So please don't feel badly.

I have REVERTED! I find a lot of interest/pleasure in $(US) 300 digital cameras that can produce photos NEARLY as good a the best dSLR cameras costing $(US) 1,500. It makes me a happy camper!

Due to that unique interest, I have literally gone backwards! I am having a ball taking photos with the Fuji F-10 and the Olympus Stylus 800 that rival dSLR cameras of the highest quality.

Try this one? It is from the Fuji F-10. a $(US) 300 digital camera. But it rivals what some dSLR's can produce.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:14 AM   #20

Another great shot! Interesting to hear that P&S camera's today actually are that good! The F10 is definitely on the top of my list in the P&S category.

You seem to travel a lot! Looks like fun