Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:35 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm a newbie on this forum, and to DSLR's. I have had a couple of Digicams though - The Canon Digital Elph 100 (first version), and now I mostly use a Canon Pro90is (I have to admit, mostly in Automatic mode..)

So what am I looking for..;

My absolute top priority is to get great pictures of my baby girl (turns 1 year in a week!). I typically try to take pictures of her indoor, but with my current Pro90is, with poor results... Sometimes it cannot focus (No AF assist or anything..), giving me blurry pictures, sometimes I get grainy pictures, and usually, too dark for my liking.. With the Flash activated, I tend to overexpose my subject, and the the rest of the room gets unevenly lighted.. Granted, I'm a terrible photographer, but I think my equipment is impeding me as well..

I've read a lot of reviews, and I am kinda leaning towards the D50 (despite very few reviews online for some reason - yes I know it is brand new, but I still had expected more buzz..).

My reasons for leaning towards the D50;
1. The most user friendly DSLR? (Good for a Newbie..)
2. Good Noiselevels, even at 1600 ISO. Better than the Canon Rebel Xt, acording to one site.
3. Better 'reasonable' lense than the Canon XT. I would not go with the kit 18-55 though, rather go with 18-70 for added range and better fstop(?)
4. Performance seems adequate. I need something that can focus/snap way faster than my Pro 90-IS..... I know, it's better if it is faster than 2.5 frames/sec, but that seems good for my purpose, I don't plan on sports photography.

Downsides to the D50, in my opinion;
-"only" 6 Mpix
-No built in Image Stabilization.. (the KM 5D seems interesting...)
-Really expensive if I want to buy VR lenses (as opposed to Canon IS ones..) Question is if I really need it, especially for normal use..

Also, since I am looking to do a lot of 'portraits', does it make sense to get a fixed lense in addition, for even 'faster' glass? There is a new Sigma 30mmF1,4 I think, that is supposed to be good. Is 45mm (adjusted), ok for portraits?? Will it help a lot in low light situations?

Later on, I would be interested in buying a decent external flash, and possibly Macro+Zoom Lenses as well, so I'm not sure How Nikon is compared to Canon and KM? (I have no lenses for any system now).

In addition to my biggest priority, I also would like to photograph nature, use on vacations, possibly fireworks, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to read my long post! Any response would be appreciated!

-Tom

tomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:50 PM   #2

Tomes-

Might I suggest that you take a look at a great dSLR that not only is extremely capable but has great ISO capabilities. The attached phot was taken inside a church in Russia at ISO 3200. If you are going to see noise, you will most certainly see it at ISO 3200. Take a moment and look at this attached photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:52 PM   #3

Are you wondering what the dSLR really is? Well it is the Pentax 1stDS which is selling with the kit lens for around $(US) 700.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:07 PM   #4

Sarah,

Unless my Opanda IExif 2.2 is lying to me, that picture was taken at ISO 800. Is this program inaccurate?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i agree.. the *stds is very user friendly and is a nice bit of kit.. but there are others that would be just as well, i.e. canon rebel xt and nikon d50..

get down to your local pro store and give em all a test run.. see which one fits *You* best.. they will all serve you well.. and in the end the one that feels the best is the one that you will be most happy with..

g'luck!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

also, pentax has a new *stdL out now that is the same sensor and chip, but with a few less features for a 100 bucks less i think..
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:09 PM   #7

Yes, can you confirm if it is 800 or 3200? In any case, a beautiful picture, though!

How is it in terms of user friendliness?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies!

A particular feature I am looking for, that I *think* the D50 has (may be wishful thinking!) is auto-iso (and hopefully not limited to 400iso). I'm especially intrigued by the 'chlld' mode.

Can one of you perhaps explain which (if any) is good at raising the iso automatically, so the shutter speed stays high?

Thanks!

-Tom
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:15 PM   #9
Super Moderator

none of them are particularly good at it.. better to do it manually..
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:26 PM   #10

Ok, I guess I am a bit of a dreamer I guess that is doable in low light situations at home. When on trips and stuff with my family, they are impatient, so that is why I would prefer it to be totally P&S (with dSLR quality of course