Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:46 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

This is such a great website with a wonderful forum! (Thank you Steve!) I've been visiting this site and forum for months now, as well as a few other review sites. I have been readingthrough all the reviews and posts. I am finally ready to make my purchase, but I am stuck on a few different digital cameras. :?

I have a back injury and cannot make it out of the house, so it is hard to make such a big purchase without seeing the camera first. For this reason, I would really appreciate any advice, comments, or suggestions any of you might have for me.

I want to get a professional quality digital camera...Either a beginnerSLR or a high-end digital. I am an amateur photographer, but I have a lot of time on my hands and want to teach myself everything about photography. I plan to get really great at photography and would like to buy a camera that I could grow with.I don't want to get an amateur camera now then a professional camera later--I just want to get a professional quality camera now (well, as long as it isn't too much over $1,000.

The most importantfeatures I want are (in order of importance):

***Low shutter lag (I want the camera to capture the shot as soon as I click to capture...no lag...or as little lag as possible).
Minimal time from shot to shot.
I want to be able to manually adjust features...be able to get creative
I would like the camera to be as light as possibly can be, while still having all the features.
MP...as long as it's 5mp or higher.
A nice optical zoom would be nice, butI'm not too picky on that.
Price up to $1,000 (or a little over)but obviously, the lower, the better!

The cameras I am interested in are:

SLR:

Canon Digital Rebel XT

Nikon D70

Nikon D70S

High-End Digital Camera:

Canon PowerShot Pro1

Nikon 8800

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions regarding the cameras I listed? I am completely stuck on my decision.:? The price does not factor into my decision, as long as it does not go too much over$1,000. Could anyone recommend one over the other? I probably won't purchase any additional lenses for at least the first year or maybe two years if I decide to purchasean SLR. If I were to purchase the SLRs as is, no additional lenses, are they better in performance and quality than the high-end digital cameras I mentioned? (ex: Is the Digital Rebel XT (without anyadditional lenses)better in quality and performance than the PowerShot Pro1? And so on...) Would it be pointless to purchase an SLR if I don't get any additional lenses for a while?

I know that everyone has their own tastes and needs from cameras, but given the features that I listed above, are there any other dig camerasthat any of youwould recommend? Do any one of the cameras that I mentioned seembetter than the other?My boyfriend went to the camera store for me and the salesperson said that the Nikon D70 won camera of the year in 2005. She said they are coming out with another one to replace it that supposedly won't be as good. Don't know if she was being honest, or was trying to rush a sale.

I would greatly appreciate any replies. :-)

Thank you!

EdgyVeggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:46 PM   #2

get the D70.
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:58 PM   #3

A very very interesting comparison between D70s, D50 and Canons Digital Rebel XT/ Eos 350d.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...T_images.shtml

The D70s has more Noise than D50!

The D50 will give u usefull pictures directly, without the need to do post processing in Photoshop, whereas the d70s has been intentionally made to underexpose pictures a little bit to leave headroom for the creativeness even after the photo has been taken meaning u will most definitively need an additional investmentin Nikon Capture [email protected] 200 dollarpremium payto get the most of Nikon d70s.

U can Grow with the D50, u will only not have direct acess to white balance wheel outside on the body.

If u can live with that i think u can take the very best artistic picswith least hassle with the d50, and get result directly u can print without having to tweak the picture in Nikon Capture every time, especialy important is if u shoot in JPEG instead of RAW/TIFF/NEF u want the best possible end result directly.

Although my gut feeling tells me Nikon D50 will take the best pictures overall,i cannot help to lean towards the Newly announced KonicaMinolta DYNAX 5D/MAXXUM 5D, for a more compact body and the missing whitebalance wheel and isodirect controls. Although image stabilisation is excelent i believe the Nikon D50 CCD is a tiny winy more sensitive in night shooting thus compensating themissing built in image stabilisation, and the less ISO steps and lower range, a little bit.

Now a warning dont go with the Canon PowerShot Pro1. It has excelent pictures but! is slow in starup and fokusing because of using older Digic processor instead of DigicII. Also the baddest thing about this camera is that alot of people have gotten Cameras with dust inside the lens, so it looks like Canon has had a serious production problem in the line with this camera.

Nikon 8800has good tele, but why not the 8400 instead with wideangle, much more useful. But then again the olympus c7070 looks like a little better choice here, smallerthan the 8400, wich quite frankly looks a little aquard and is as big as a DSLR. And with the risk of behaving like a panasonic agent, as in my previous post i would recomend the newly announced Panasonic Lumix LX1 over Nikon 8x00 or Olympus cx0x0, with the olympus c7070 being my second best as a enthusiast Camera (was my first choice until yesterday when Lumix LX1 was announced).

themite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:04 PM   #4

Thanks so much for both your replies!

Turkish-If you don't mind, could you tell me why you chose that camera? That is one of the models that I aminterested in.

TheMite-Could you tell me what you mean by "noise" when you wrote, "The D70s has more Noise than D50!"

When you said, "the d70s has been intentionally made to underexpose pictures a little bit to leave headroom for the creativeness even after the photo has been taken meaning u will most definitively need an additional investmentin Nikon Capture [email protected] 200 dollarpremium payto get the most of Nikon d70s.", I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying...So, basically, if I take pictures with the D70S, I will have to fix the pix up with a phot editing software first?That stinks! Is that always the case?

You said, "U can Grow with the D50, u will only not have direct acess to white balance and iso wheel on the body." Could I make adjustments to the white balance and iso in the menu screens?

You said, "i cannot help to lean towards the Newly announced KonicaMinolta DYNAX 5D/MAXXUM 5D, for a more compact body and the missing whitebalance wheel and isodirect controls." Can I control the white balabnce and iso in the menu screens?

Thanks for the warning about the Canon PowerShot Pro1. I looked into this, after a friend told me today about the same thing (about the startup time and the older Digic proc)you said, and it is true!

I will also look into the Nikon D50,the Olympus c7070,the Nikon8400, as well as thenew Panasonic Lumix LX1.

I really appreciate your detailed review!

Thank you for that comparisonlink. Iam going to check it out now!

Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5

One more thing...I am a little concerned with not being able to use the LCD tocapture pictures with the dSLR cameras. I am so used to using the LCDand I like not having to look through the viewfinder. In fact, I haven't used the viewfinder in years! I heard that some company is coming out shortly with an attachment for SLRs that will enable you to look through an LCD lens when you actually capture the pic. Don't know too much info about it though. With anything in life, I guess you get used to change, but I sure would miss it. I can't imagine why the dSLRs woul omit the live LCD option while capturing pictures. Maybe it has something to do with a delay?

Has anyone heard of this new product? Any opinions on this LCD attachment?

Any other opinions on my original question above?

Thanks!

Old Jul 23, 2005, 8:55 PM   #6

EdgyVeggie-

Me thinks thatyou are indeed playing us like a harp with threads going at steve's and at dcforum. I have actually contributed the most to both of the threads. Frankly, I have my doubts about you! AndI am pissed off BIGTIME.

Now is the time to come clean on BOTH websites, or I am out of here! EdgyVeggie you have been warned, and there is no SECOND time for me.

Sarah Joyce

I think you are a BIG FAKE! I do not believe anymore.
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:17 AM   #7

Hi all,

Geez Louise!!!:!:

Speaklightlysounds like acrazy lady!:? If anyone is interested, I posted a response to her paranoia:? on thedcresource site.

Here is a direct link to my post:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...ge=2&pp=10

Thanks.

Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:21 AM   #8

edgyvegie-

It is you who is out of control, and you have been for over a week if one goes thru he history on this topic.

God, save you honey
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 2:09 AM   #9

Putting emotions aside, I think both D50 and Rebel XT are good cameras. I wasalso selecting between P&S and SLR. I decided on a SLR (Dig Rebel XT) because I needed good qality pictures in low-light conditions without a flash. Also, capturing fast moving objects require a fast shutter speed and this where you can't do without an SLR. I was wrong thinking that I canfind a P&S to match an SLR performance.

I got Dig Rebel XT because of two main reasons:

1. It uses 8mp CMOS sensor with better light sensitivity than the 6mp CCD sensor in Nikon D70s or D50. With this CMOS sensor you get lower noise in indoors shots without a flash. My friend has D70s and we compared both cameras (D70s and Rebel XT) by shooting the same objects in different light conditions. The Rebel came out to be the winner in both the noise levels and sharpness.

2.The REbelhas a wide selection of lenses, among which you can find the lenses with the image stabilization. People say that Canon owns the patent for the image stabilized lens and its technology is better than Nikon's. I've got Canon 28-135 IS USM lens, which is bigger and heavier than the kit lens butits IS helps a lot to remove the blur due to the hand shake. I really love my camera/lens. The CMOS sensor and the lens with IS is the way to go, but this is only one man's opinion. If you decide to go with the Rebel, my advice to get the battery grip since it makes the camera grip longer, to fit the man's hand.

Good luck in your selection!
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 7:15 PM   #10

Hi Gpwr,

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate your input. :-) The comparison you did with your friend using your Rebel XT and his D70 is really helpful! It helps with my decision to know that information. I have definitely decided on a dSLR. I could definitely grow with that camera. I have decided that in the future, I could always get an ultra-compact, $200-300 point & shoot dig camera that I could take in my pocketbook orpocket, to parties, out at night, hiking, etc. This way, I'd have the small, compact camera for situaltions where I need something small, and the dSLR for when I want professional quality pix and when I want to be creative.

It really seems like I am leaning toward the Rebel XT, as I haven't heard any complaints about it-except for the size. That is actually beneficial for me, becaise I am looking for a small, lightweight dSLR. I am a petite woman, with small hands, so I don't think I would have any problems holding it. I still want to finish looking into the Nikon D70/70S a little but further, along with the Pentax *1stDC, as well as the Olympus Evolt E-300 and possibly the Oly E1 (I found it for under $1000 at Abes of Maine). The only thing with the E1, is it is from 2003, plus it is 23 lbs--empty. You have some really great points about the Rebel XT. I've also read that the CMOS is better than the CCD. Have you heard anything about theother dSLRs that I mentioned?

Since you have the Rebel XT, in your opinion, what would be the first and 2nd lens that you would recommend if I also went with the Rebel XT? I'm a completely new to dSLRs and especially new to lens changing.

I know I may sound naiive, but is there a lense available that has all the basics, like zoom in, and zoom out (of course, not a crazy zoom, but a decent one), as well as Image Stabilization, and also takes crisp, quality pix all in one lens? Is this possible? I guess I am looking to see if I could just have maybe 1 or 2 lenses for now that would get me through the learning process, and possibly a year or more, without holding me back in creativity. ***I want to have the same crisp, vibrant quality that I could get from a high-end point & shoot dig camera. I've read that the dSLRs aren't as vibrant as the high-end P&S dig cameras, but you can change the colors in the menus or in post processing. In the beginning, while I am new to dSLRs, I just want to be able to have a vibrant pic w/o having to mess with the colors on the menu.

Thanks again for your help, gpwr!