Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:25 AM   #1

hello everyone, i have some questions for you all!?* i currently have a 35mm Nkon N75, and am getting tired or developing film, and want to go back to digital!* i want something SLR-like, and want something similar to what i have now, so i think i got it down to 2 choices, either a Fuji FinePix S5100, or a Canon PowerShot S1 IS!?* what do you guys think?* i payed $250 for my Nikon, and saw that the other 2 cameras were about the same price, so which one would you guys suggest for me and my situation?* I like the S5100, but it doesn't have an IS, the S1 does!* But the S1 has worse color accuracy i heard and around 2MP, instead of around 4MP.* I just can't decide and would someone else's oppinions!* Thank you everyone !
AtroposX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:31 AM   #2

o, and i forgot to mentiion that i will be using my camera for model shoots, up-close shots, landscapes, and traveling the world and such, mainly model shoots though, like people in china, belize, africa, antarctica, and the states and such!* thanks again to anyone!
AtroposX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:56 AM   #3

Is there some reason why you are limiting yourself to two older models?

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:03 AM   #4

Actually, the S1 IS is a 3.2 MP camera. It does not have RAW capability, and it has no AF assist lamp, which may hurt your low light opportunities. I looked at them both before I bought, and the S5100 was a lot more comfortable in my hand than the Canon. I bought the S5100.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:14 AM   #5

I just want to let you know, after comparing both these cameras at home, Altho it's a nice camera,the S1 has a lot more noise in low light pics, & video, ISO 200, & 400. Also, the Fugi is a bit faster operating all around, and locks on focus easier, & faster. The pics, & video, are a bit sharper on the Fugi too.

But, you don't have IS, which I never missed, or noticed an advantage with? maybe in video? I didn't think to try this feature in video, and you can't zoom in video (altho I've heard of focus problems here?) orrotate the pics in camerawith the Fugi (no big deal to me)
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote