Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2005, 5:10 AM   #1

I would really appreciate a help in this issue.
the main question is whether I would be able to take pictures of +/- the same quality with these cameras.
I am planning to use camera for "interesting" shots - landscapes, some portraits, ants :-) - actualy catching each and every moment of life.
I would buy A95, but the size matters. If I could take good macro pictures and low-noise-level landscapes (sunsets, etc) with that Pentax, I would buy it.
I really don't want to carry a bag with me everywhere I go, but if it would be neccesary...

Also, I am looking forward to your suggestions of different cameras in the same price range.
Thank you in advance

njam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:32 AM   #2

njam-

I have found the the Pentax S5i does a fine job for me and is a good all around digital camera. You expressed some concern about macros, so I have attached a mocro shot I just took. I think it looks great.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:40 AM   #3

I would choose the S5i over the S5Z unless you never take pictures out in the sun. Not having a viewfinder can be a problem.

The A95 will take better images overall and offers more control. But the camera you have with you is infinitely better than the great one you have sitting at home.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:17 AM   #4

What would you say about Pentax Optio Svi? Looks good, however I could not find any reviews.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:04 PM   #5

I don't think I would buy any camera without reading some good reviews. The SVi seems quite compact for a 5X zoom camera. I wish they had managed to put the better movie mode on it like they did with the S5Z. But the S5i doesn't have the good movies either.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:18 AM   #6

I am not going to buy a camer without a single review either.
But it seems to be worth of waiting for a while; if Svi has both shutter and aperture priorities and other features more or less as s5z or s5i, it will probably be mine.