Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1

Hi
after researching, i brought down to 4 choices.
I will buy by next week...

At first my preference is Canon S2IS or Sony V3, but i'm willing to spend extra $$ if either 350D or D70s can be far more convincing...

1 Canon 350D
2 Nikon D70s
3 Canon S2 IS
4 Sony DSC-V3

thanks to all gurus

cheers
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:18 PM   #2

The real question is what type of shooting will you be doing? Do you want the additional expense that comes with the DSLR world? Are you willing to carry around the extra gear that will be required with the DSLR cameras? Are you willing to learn about photography to take advantage of the DSLR camera? If you do not answer yes to these questions, I would then opt for the Prosumer cameras you have listed.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3

Yup, atm i'll use the camera to take night shots, landscapes n sports..The reason for choosing dslr is that i begin to love photography n wanting to take photography lessons. So i think those dslr choices are very good, for beginners, as i read in magazines..
so, what u think?
which model is best catch?

cheers
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

if you are going to take lessons and possibly courses at a local college, you will need an slr..

my vote is 350d.. it offers better resolution.. really its not far off the 20d in terms of image quality alone.. these days i just can't see going with 6mp when 8 is the new standard...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:56 PM   #5

junior

I would also recommend the 350 because I prefer the Canon lenses. The D70 is also an excellent camera. Your interest in learning photography will cause to upgrade from the Prosumer models in the near future. I would recommend to start with DSLR.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:29 PM   #6

Well the camera that I would go for.. The Canon EOS 350d Xt, or the Nikon D70s well there is not much difference between those 2 models becouse, if you compare them the nikon has 6 megapixels of quality but the canon has 8 megapixels, if your going to be taking some serious photos 2 million pixels wont matter that much unless you want to close up on them. Also the Nikon D70, and D70s are exactly idenical but the Version with the S at the end has a 2 in screen and the Regular with out the s version has a 1.8 inch screen. So if you would go for Nikon I would suggest the D70 becouse its a lot cheaper and the only Difference between the the More expancive verion is that it has a sligtly smaller lcd screen. So in conclusion There is not much difference between Canons Eos and Nikons D's. If you would like to compare them here is the link.........

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s&show=all

copy it in your browser and Look at and compare them.

Thx

Robertski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:58 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i disagree.. there are many times when i felt that i could use a few more megapixels than even my 20d has.. if you are enlarging up to 13x19 or even 8.5x11 and are shooting RAW to make the most of every pixel.. those extra pixels do help in getting a good image at a resolution needed for print without needing to interpolate.. even if you do the interpolation in increments there is a degradation of quality.. i must say that i am disappointed in nikon for rehashing the d70s as their "new introduction".. for me it was nothing but a market ploy to steal thunder from the 350d as they scramble to come up with an answer to it and the 20d..i am hoping that they release the d200 soon and hopefully they will put at least 8mp in it, hopefully 10mp..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote