Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:33 PM   #11

I only tried the 20D for a short while in a store. The clerk wouldn't let me walk away with it for some reason . The weight difference isn't that big though (100g) -- not big enough to worry me at least. I still haven't decided on which way to go. If I get a D70s I can get the 70-300G lens as well and still not spend more than on the 20D with 18-55. That might make me forget how nice the 20D was to use... I have a really, really hard time deciding which way to go. :?
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:40 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Size & weight are all relative I guess.

The 20D feels just right to me and is easy enough to carry all day.

I find that the 1-series Canons are too big and heavy for me to consider investing in them, and the XT is too small for comfort.

I have set myself a self-imposed weight limit of around 3kg for camera plus lenses and flashgun, so weight also ended up being an important criteria for my lens choices.

Why 3kg? So when I fly I can get my camera and laptop inside the 6kg hand-luggage allowance.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:37 PM   #13

Just got back from Ritz/Wolf Camera...played with Nikon D70 and D50, Canon XT, Pentax ist... (I did not see Olympus brand at all, or a KM 5D/7D)...while all seemed good, I was highly impressed with the D70...slightly heavier, but felt good in the hand with the 18-70 Nikkor lens...the D70 with lens kit was $999, card extra...did not have the D70s in stock...did not have an EOS 20D...

When I asked about the viewfinder grid in the D70, the photo guy, who did seem to know the some pros and cons of each unit, had no idea of the viewfinder grid...is this a purchasable option from Nikon, or just a menu item to switch on or off?

The price includes 3 evening lessons, which will be helpful to me, you guys know enough to teach the camera guy a thing or two...three lessons from anywhere else would probably cost $100-150 or more...

He also explained about their extended warranty from Wolf, a bumper-to-bumper warranty...about $135 yearly, which includes a yearly cleaning (normally $75 by itself), bringing the actual warr down to $65 yearly...covers breakage (drop the camera and break it, we fix it or replace it), lens scratching, almost everything except direct abuse (can't throw it at the wall and claim it)...for the $1K cost, does not sound unreasonable to me, esp after reading about horror stories trying to clean dSLR cameras...

He was straight enough to say that I should find the camera with the most "pros" that I like, and the fewest "cons" I can live with...He did not try to push anything on me, except to say that the Pentax ist came with 2 lenses, the entire kit for $899...he said it was the best value for the money that they had, but only if Pentax was the brand I wanted...

I really want one of each... ...that way I only have to compromise by the day of the week...ist Mon, D70 Tue, XT Wed, D50 Thu, 20D Fri, rest Sat/Sun...

A 70-300 zoom, non-Nikon, was only $159, he assumed that a similar Nikon lens would be $250...would this be close???

What would be a good close-up (macro?) Nikon lens that you guys would recommend?

Would it make senseto buy just a plain 50 lens (35mm equivalent) for ordinary shots (and usually a smaller lens than the 18-70), or just use the 18-70 lens from the kit for the standard "50" lens? ...thanks, as always...

Any other thoughts or comments on anything I did not consider?

Antone want to buy the camera for me for my birthday???...:blah:
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:06 PM   #14

The rebel xt is probably the best value camera right now for the money.

It has the excellent Canon 8mp sensor, gives you the ability to buy a ton of Canon or other manufacturer lenses.

The rebel XT is a nice size and weight in your hand.

The D70S is more money and doesn't take as good a picture.

Canon right now is wiping up the DSLR market, and for good reason. They produce most of the top DSLR's at the moment. The only other camera I'd give a hats off to is the Nikon 300D.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:29 PM   #15

The money is in the bank and I now need to decide which camera to buy. Well I don't need to, but I'd like to. I was wondering though: would a used 10D serve me more or less as well as a 20D? The 20D with the Canon 18-55 costs about $1687 here in Sweden. I have two offers on a used 10D (body only) for $650. Those $1000 would get me all kinds of nice glass and maybe this would be a better option?

Both of the 10D offers look good. The sellers seem honest and the gear looks to be in great shape. I would of course make further inquries about exposures, remaining warranty and so on before buying a used cam, but the prices seem good. What are your thoughts?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 3:03 PM   #16
Super Moderator

for speed of operation, i.e. startup time, write times, the 20d is probably worth the extra money over the 10d these days..

don't discount the rebel xt just yet, it does nearly everything the 20d does for considerably less.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 3:10 PM   #17

Yes, but it doesn't even come close in terms of ergonomics. It simply doens't feel good in my hands. The grip is both too low and too shallow. Unfortuneatly. If it had been larger I'd have bought it for sure. But I won't buy a camera that I don't like holding.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 3:24 PM   #18
Administrator

That price is probably about right for a used 10D body in excellent shape.

I see one on Ebay now for $699 (buy it now price), and one in like new condition at B&H for $799. These are US Dollars so I don't know how prices compare in Europe.

BTW, the Konica-Minolta 5D is shipping in some areas of Europe now, too (I've seen reports from U.K. owners that got them yesterday). So, you may want to take a look at it to see if it's ergonomics are better if any stores near you are getting them this week. New ownersare reporting paying around£549 in the U.K. from some of the dealers there. It willbe selling for $799 in the U.S.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:19 PM   #19

Tried the KM 5D the other day and didn't feel comfortable with it. That doesn't necessarily say much since I tried the 7D again and DID like it despite my previous negative experience. Got a few good offers on used 20Ds too but all three sellers either stopped communicating with me or withdrew from the sale.

I'm still frustrated over the last guy with whom I had an oral agreement (or that's how I saw it). He originally wanted to sell his 20D with kit lens plus a 420EX Speedlite and a Sandisk 2GB Extreme III card for a very reasonable amount. I jumped on the phone and we made an agreement to talk again after the weekend since we were both busy. Saturday morning he phones me about shipping options and we agree not to include the cheap Lowepro bag he originally intended to ship as well (couldn't fit it into the box). I was supposed to phone him earlier today to make final arrangements. Saturday night I get another mail in which he tells me he's gonna keep the flash and card and sell camera with lens only. It was still a good offer so I agreed to buy the camera only. Opened my mail app today, just before I was going to call the seller, only to find out that he sold the camera to someone else. Despite our arrangements. *sigh*

After having dealt with these people I ordered the camera from a store instead. Still got a good price and now I get a new 20D with EF-S 18-55 lens in a day or two. In the end I chose between Canon, Nikon and KM and had it not been for my hands-on experience it would have been a dead race. All the brands have great cameras but I happened to like the 20D best when I tried it. Now I need to start piling money so I can buy some good lenses. Anyone care to recommend a suitable lens and tripod for landscape photography?
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:34 PM   #20
Administrator

Jocke wrote:
Quote:
Tried the KM 5D the other day and didn't feel comfortable with it. That doesn't necessarily say much since I tried the 7D again and DID like it despite my previous negative experience.
I'm curious how the ergonomics are with the 5D, too. It looks like a pretty small camera. They just started shipping in the U.S., so I'm waiting to get my hands on one to see how it feels to me.

Congratulations on the 20D. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Quote:
Anyone care to recommend a suitable lens and tripod for landscape photography?
You may want to read through some of the threads in our Tripods and Heads and Canon Lenses Forums to get some ideas on what's available within your budget. Then, ask some questions there.

I hope you enjoy your new camera!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote