Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:01 PM   #1

I have a Sony P200. My brother has the older OLYMPUS C765. I was really impressed with 10 x optical zoom on this camera, it would be great for bird watching, which I do a lot of, and I didn't realize how good this 10x zoom is.

Could you recommend any other cameras as good or better than the C765, I would appreciate it. I am so impressed I am thinking of selling my BRAND NEW P200.

Regards, Steve.
stupidgrinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:28 PM   #2

Stabilization is a great feature if the birds are in the shade. The standard formula for shutter speed is that if you use good holding technique you should use the reciprocal of the 35mm equivalent focal length. In the case of the C-765 zoomed out that would be 1/380 sec. Take your P200, put it on spot exposure mode and zoom it out. Aim it at something in the shade and half-press the shutter to see what shutter speed you generated. It will likely be around 1/50 second. The C-765 would be a little faster because it is f3.7 at full zoom, but it wouldn't likely be as high as 1/100. If you make only 4 X 6 prints without cropping much or just display them small the shots might not look too bad. But unless you are Superman you can't get consistent sharp shots at that speed and zoom without stabilization.

There are several stabilized cameras you might consider. The Panasonic FZ15 and FZ20 are not only stabilized but maintain f2.8 all the way to 12X. They are both quite large though. The Canon S2, Sony H1 and Panasonic FZ5 are more compact and have stabilized 12X zooms. They aren't as compact as the C-765 though.

If I were buying a super zoom camera today it would likely be the Canon S2 IS. It has high quality movies and you can use the optical zoom during recording. It also has stereo sound and a wind damper. I like the flip-out LCD. You give up almost a half-stop compared to the FZ20, but it is a little brighter than the C-765 at full zoom. Shutter lag and cycle times are much faster than the C-765. Shutter lag is in the "agonizing" class with the C-765 if you don't pre-focus. The S2 also has a better burst mode, which I find handy in a long zoom camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:45 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i'd fz-5, s2 IS, sony h1 would be tops of my list at the moment
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:48 PM   #4

Slipe..thanks for that superb reply. I was impressed at how stable the 765 was at full zoom. My p200 may be good general all-rounder, which is why I bought it,but it can't match the 10x zoom on the 765. I hadn't realized just how good optical zooms were on digital camers.It seems at £170 GBP it is a lot of camera for the money. It dawned on me also, that even though I had bought a pocket compact, I spent my time walking around with it in its case. It only has the wrist strap. So even though the 765 is bigger, it has the traditional neck strap which makes it handy to shoot. I will look at the cameras you have suggested also. I've got a feeling they will be costlier?

Many thanks.

Steve.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:56 PM   #5

Hards...Is it your short hand..what is ...' i'd ' ?

Basically your recommending same cameras as Slipe..yes?

Many thanks.

Regards, Steve.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 5:00 PM   #6

Also guys...I've just checked the price of an S2...its twice the price of the 765.

S
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:07 PM   #7

Hi stupid,

Although I would also agree about the usefulness of IS, I also understand that not everyone can or wants to spend that much money, and certainly the newer S2 and H1 are fairly expensive. Besides the 765, there is also the Fuji 5100 to consider as well. Both can be had at very good prices these days....

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:44 PM   #8

grinner,

Listen to Phil and take a look at the S5100..unless you've got the shakes, no problem holding max zoom on a sunny day. And if it isn't sunny, take a brace aginst a tree or a fence post...why pay an extra hundred dollars for a device that might not help you get better pictures?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 10:50 PM   #9

For the price, its hard to beatboth the Oly765 and the Fuji S5100. Both of them have that "feels right" handling and deliver superb photos. One of my digicams is an older model Oly Ultrazoom,but it is very similiar to the newer 765,and I love it's 10x zoom. The lack of image stabilization has never been a problem; learning to take a steady shot makes for good photo technique.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:08 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice guys.

Stupid.