Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:30 PM   #1

What would be the least expensive digital camera that takes good wide-angle shots? This would be used by realtors, appraisers, people involved in real estate. Thanks. -David
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:27 PM   #2

Have you looked at the Canon S-60? It has a wide angle equivalent to 28mm, and was reviewed on this web site. It is still available, probably for around $350 more or less.

The Fuji E550 (also reviewed here) has a wide angle equivalent to 32mm. It is widely available for just under $300 at on-line and brick retailers.

Some "relatively" inexpensive cameras, the Sony P and the Sony W series for example, have wide angle lenses available at additional cost. Usually they require an adapter so you are looking at an extra $100 or more. This site, http://www.dcresource.com/ lists available accessories such as wide angle lenses in its reviews in an easy to read format. It does not seem to have as many camera reviews as Steve's though.

I haven't checked the over $500 cameras (my inexpensive/expensive dividing line) for wide angle options.
mmrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:41 PM   #3

The Fuji E500 (4 megapixels) and E510 (5 mp) have a zoom lens that is the 35-equivalent of 28 mm at the wide end. I have no experience with either camera, and can't comment on them otherwise. Prices on the E500 seem to run around $170, while the E510 is about $200 or just slightly more at reputable dealers.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:50 PM   #4

Both the Canon S-60/S-70 and the Fuji E-510, along with the Nikon 8400, Olympus C-7070, and the Olympus C-8080 feature wide angle lenses. For the very best wide angle results take a look at the D-70 equipped with the Nikkor 12-24 lens (a www.kenrockwell.com WOW lens!). Or at the Pentax 1stDS equipped with the Sigma 12-24mm lens.

I have attached a Nikon D-70 with the Nikor 12-24mm lens example.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:25 PM   #5

dmargolis wrote:
Quote:
What would be the least expensive digital camera that takes good wide-angle shots?
The least expensive would be the Fuji E500, which would run you about $187 at butterflyphoto.com. It's not the best camera out there, but for the price it does quite well, and is fully capable of "good wide-angle shots". In case you are interested, this camera also has true A/S/M modes accessible via mode dial, which is hard to find in this price range. Of course you don't have to use manual exposure modes if you don't want to.

As the majority of real estate agents do not need a great number of megapixels, the E500's four mp's should work just fine for you.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:42 AM   #6

Thanks Phil. I think I would get the E500. -D
dmargolis is offline   Reply With Quote