Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1

Hello,

I'm trying to do some research and find an affordable camera for work. I work in an architecture office and we take alot of pictures of interiors, so I have three main criteria I would like this camera to meet. In order of importance:

1) Wide angle lens. Something around 28mm equivelant or lower if possible without using a goofy attachment lens. High zoom is not that important.

2)Compact body. I don't really need the smallest camera around, but I don't want something that is cumbersome to carry around on a job site.

3)Cost: Preferably something $350 or under if possible. I'm willing to spend a bit more if the perfect camera is out there, but that's my target.

Those are the main factors I'm looking for. Of course image quality is always number one priority, but aside from that those are what I need most. 4 megapixel or higher would be preferred also, but not crucial. Any suggestions on what to look into is very much appreciated.

gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s70.html
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:33 AM   #3

peripatetic wrote: Thanks for the link. The s70 is very nice, but it looks a littlepricier than what I've got to spend. However the s60 is looking pretty good at the moment! Actually from what I've found so far it looks to be at the top of the list.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:36 PM   #4

There are no NEW sub $350 cameras out there with 28mm lenses that I know of. I bought the S70 because it had the wide capability and love it. While pricey, it was worth it. It's as good as my Dimage 7i which was the only other digital camera I knew that had a wide lense, but the S70 is much smaller.You could pick up a used Minolta Dimage 7 series camera for under $350 on eBay.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:31 PM   #5

moondaug wrote:
Quote:
There are no NEW sub $350 cameras out there with 28mm lenses that I know of. I bought the S70 because it had the wide capability and love it. While pricey, it was worth it. It's as good as my Dimage 7i which was the only other digital camera I knew that had a wide lense, but the S70 is much smaller.You could pick up a used Minolta Dimage 7 series camera for under $350 on eBay.
Not so:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...fuji_e510.html

The e510 isn't quite as nice as the e550 as far as features, but has a wide angle lens, and a descent 5MP sensor, and still gives you many manual features. I also think it is much better looking than the S70, but that's just my opinion. If you ever wanted major wide angle, the adapter can give you 21mm. It is pretty fast, with only 1/10th shutter lag prefocused, and 5/10th including focus. The camera is only $199 on Newegg.com

It's main downside VS the S60 is that it has a smaller sensor, but it is almost half the price. Good luck!
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:30 PM   #6

Panasonic lumix lx1a 8 megapixel 1/1.6" CCD , steamingly new and hot with anthusiast with plenty manual control, it starts at wideangle 28mm.

Or Samsung Digimax L55W a 5 megapixel, 4.8x zoom , islicensing "ricoh┬┤s Caplio R2 optics" but better overall. Starts also at wideangle 28mm.
themite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:13 PM   #7

I think that the Panasonic LX-1 is the camera to look at.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the LX1 out for sure. Anyone know when this camera should be out?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:42 AM   #9

I stand corrected on the Fuji e510 ;-P ┬*(though I wish Fuji and Olympus and Sony would dump their proprietery memory cards and use cheaper and faster SD or Mini-SD cards.) The Panasonic LX-1 is a very pretty camera (with a nice Leica lense), but it's not available yet and will most likely retail for above $350 ($599 was a price a recently saw suggested).┬*┬*http://www.centraldigital.com/product/?9780
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:01 PM   #10

At least 2 companies are using propratory XD, Olympus and Fuji. Sony is the worst, as they are by themselves, and the have about 3 different versions of their memory that only they use. There's nothing great about sony media, it's not even that small. I agree that SD would be a good standard, as it's small, fast, and can hold a lot of stuff for not much money. But unlike XD, you have to be sure you are getting a fast chip. You can get a slow 1GB XD for $60, but the nicest are about $90. All XDs get about the same speeds 3-5MB/s, and are about $85-90 for a gig. All these prices are based on NewEgg.com.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote