Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2005, 4:53 PM   #1

Okay, someone please help me choose between the Canon SD400, the Kodak V550, the Casio EX-Z750 and the Nikon 7900. If I had my druthers:
-- Big and bright LCD
-- Optical Viewfinder
-- Decent night shots

Thanks!

Sam
samboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:54 PM   #2

If you mean you want to handhold night shots, none of those cameras are very suitable. The Panasonic FX7/8/9 have stabilization to help in limited light and the Fuji F10 has higher ISO you can use. Neither will take night shots handheld though unless the lights are pretty bright. And neither have a viewfinder. But they do better in low light than the ones you listed. I share your preference for having a viewfinder.

The Casie Z750 is a really nifty little camera. But the others you listed are all point and shoot, so you probably don't have any need for the manual controls it offers. It is tiny with a large LCD. The viewfinder is small. It works fine for me, but it might be difficult for someone who wears glasses. The V550 looks to be difficult for glasses wearers as well. The past movie mode is nice. You just aim the camera until something happens. You can then start the record and it records the previous 5 seconds from the buffer and continues recording. So you don't have to grind away waiting for something to happen. They improved the dark frame subtraction for night shots in their latest firmware, so it now does a nice job if you don't try to handhold it. The control setup is the best I've seen.

The SD400 does everything fairly competently. The LCD isn't as large as the Z750 or V550, but it is reasonably large and the camera is compact. It doesn't have the MPEG4 movie mode like the Z750 and V550, so you need a really big card if you plan to take movies.

The V550 looks like a nice camera. It has a large 2.5 inch viewfinder like the Z750 but it is a higher resolution. If your near vision is good you would see the difference. The viewfinder is probably a little better in sunlight than the others as well. It has the good MPEG4 movies and looks to be set up with good controls, although I prefer the mode dial on the Z750 to just buttons. It also uses its internal memory well. You can store a large photo album in the permanent memory like the Z750. Much better than a useless throw-away card IMO. It also has a great burst mode for a little camera. I find that handy in dynamic situations. I wish the Z750 had a better burst mode.

The 7900 is a good camera but it wouldn't be my first choice. It is large for a 2 inch LCD camera. It has good movies like the SD400 but doesn't have MPEG4. Full autofocus shutter lag and cycle times are poor compared to the others.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:11 AM   #3

Lots here to consider.

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:38 AM   #4

Hi, Slipe,Sorry to be so scattered on this purchase and thanks for your help.There are lots of EXZ750 posts at DPREVIEW as to "lens error" and about buying a model made in China or Japan.¬* The concensus seems to be that the early models came from Japan and that the debugged ones come from China.¬* Where was yours made and have you had "lens error" trouble?¬* Also, a pal of mine has a Casio¬* EXZ50 and the LCD seems murky to my eyes.¬* How do you like your LCD?Thanks again!Sam
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:46 PM   #5

I don't use reading glasses but my near vision isn't great. The LCD looks fine to me. But if I put cheaters on I can see it is blocky.

3 or your 4 choices are point and shoot cameras, so manual controls don't seem very important to you. The V550 looks to be the camera of choice if LCD resolution is important to you. I get the feeling the LCD is better in bright light as well. It has MPEG4 movies. The only thing I see missing for a point and shooter is the past movie mode ‚Äď which I really like.

I've had my Chinese made camera for about a month and a half with no problems. When I put the camera in my little belt pouch I do switch it to audio record mode though. I find I use the camera a lot more to take audio notes with it in that mode, but you do have to switch the mode dial over to snapshot for pictures. That is fairly easy to do as snapshot is the only thing on the mode dial in red, but it does slow getting the camera into action.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:55 PM   #6

Thanks!