Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2005, 7:27 PM   #1

I'm considering the jump to DSLR after using digital point and shoots for years.I'm seeing refurbed Digital Rebel 300D's with kit lens for around $600. But I'm concerned because it's not new and because the model is dated. But the possiblity of saving hundreds of dollars is very appealing to me! I figured whatever extra lenses I eventually acquire would go with a newer cam when I upgrade.

Your opinions would be hugely appreciated.
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:31 PM   #2

The 300D is still a 6MP DSLR which makes it a member of the pack (all the popular DSLRs are 6MP except for the newer Canons and the Olympus Evolt which are 8MP). There is not much burst depth at 4 shots but it is still much faster than most point and shoots, and the large sensor means relatively noise free images up to ISO 400 (and quite acceptable up to 1600).

Carefully check the pricing on newer models and if the 300D is hundreds less than go for it.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 3:15 AM   #3

My brother got the Digital Rebel last year and I was impressed by virtually noise free quality of most of the pictures he took.

I just got the Pentax *ist DS and really like it so far. Easy to handle, good picture quality, uses AA batteries, and has ISO up to 3200. You can get it for $660 shipped with the kit lens. You can also get a lot of good used Pentax lenses cheap on Ebay.

Either of these cameras is a bargain, I think.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

very much so.. it has better image quality as compared to some of the newer entry levels including the just release nikon D50..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:30 AM   #5

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote