Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2005, 5:26 AM   #11

That is a seagul.
rob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:51 AM   #12

Well, most batteries these days will last you a day's shooting.

I recharge my batteries on trips using the cigarette lighter in the car. Batteries have never been a problem for me, lithium or otherwise (I take photos for a local paper). Your never very far away from a wall outlet or cigarrette lighter in a car.

Probably the best indicator of shooting quality will be the # of megapixels. These days you can get a pocketable camera with 5 or 6 megapixels which will give you excellent quality.

Just check out the lens and make sure it doesn't add any extra distortion.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:51 AM   #13

Well, most batteries these days will last you a day's shooting.

I recharge my batteries on trips using the cigarette lighter in the car. Batteries have never been a problem for me, lithium or otherwise (I take photos for a local paper). Your never very far away from a wall outlet or cigarrette lighter in a car.

Probably the best indicator of shooting quality will be the # of megapixels. These days you can get a pocketable camera with 5 or 6 megapixels which will give you excellent quality.

Just check out the lens and make sure it doesn't add any extra distortion.

-- Terry
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:39 PM   #14

Terry - thanks.

My concern w/ batteries is more that AA's are somewhat disposable, and are ubiquitous. While Lithium batteries, once they are "dead" (as in not rechargable, end-of-its-life), I am forced into buying what may possibly be a hard-to-get battery that I have to purchase mail-order, at likely a significant premium to NiMh's purchased at Big Lots or some other local retailler.

I don't know if the batteries lifetime will depend on usage, or age, or both. But with AA's, I'm assured cheap, easy replacements.

If you can convince me otherwise, well jeez - I'd be real happy as it would open me up to a whole bunch of other cameras.
who_am_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 2:33 PM   #15

These days some of the cameras that take AA's also take lithium batteries that look like two AA's stuck together.

Personally, my Canon 20D uses lithium and I've never looked back.

My pentax optio takes both AA's and the lithium aa's I talk about. I swapped in the lithiums and haven't looked back with that one either.

I gave most of my NIMH rechargeables away. I need a few nimh's for my external flash.

I think the lithiums hold their charge for up to a year, whearas the NIMH's go totally dead after about a month. So, you will find yourself recharging the lithiums less often.

I get about 300 shots per recharge on my 20D using no flash, and pretty close to three hundred shots on my optio with the two-aa-stuck-together lithiums.

Another cool thing about lithium batteries is the camera will tell you how much of the batteries have been used up. I have the confidence to go several photo sessions between recharges, but with my AA's I would have to recharge before every shoot. I'd only get a 100-150 shots on 4 nimh-aa's (about a third as many shots).

You'd get about five years out of a lithium ION battery. For me, I shoot about 5,000 shots per year, so that translates to about 25,000 shots to one set of batteries.

Most common cameras you'd be able to buy a lithium replacement battery after 5 years.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to buy a camera that uses AA-s any more unless they can handle the lithium AA's as well.

-- Terry

Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:12 PM   #16

Piney-

I came across the C-5500, in a serious way, about a month ago. Before that I had not paid much attention to it. However, when I got my hands on one and began taking photos, I was both very impressed and very surprised.

To me it is clearly much better than eitherthe Canon A-75 or A-95.

Here is another sample photo from the Olympus C5500.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 7:04 PM   #17

Yeah one more plus for the C-5500. Someone said they found one for under $200(?) in an earlier message but I can't find it at that price, lowest I could find was $220. Still averages less $ than the A95 and you're getting alot more camera for the money too.
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 7:41 PM   #18

Thats a pretty nice camera, the c-5050. Nice F1.8 lens with a good zoom range.

Magnesium body. Buillt to last.

You can use the AA batteries or the CR-V3 batteries (essentially looks like two AA's but their lithium).

Maybe not a true pocketable camera but a classic, to say the least.

I see them online for about $300 (US dollars).

Hmm, Wouldn't mind one myself!

-- Terry

Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:27 PM   #19

Mates,

Take a look at www.6thave.com and you will find the Olympus C-5500 priced at $206 (US) with an amazing $.06 for shipping.

If you want to go to www.ebay.com, the Olympus Emporium quite often sells refurbished C-5500 for LESS THAN $200.00 (US)

An Olympus Fan. Now don't tell your family and friends that I didn' turn you toward a GREAT deal.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:01 PM   #20

You're getting some converts here

I think the website is actually http://www.6ave.com

And since they ship from Jersey - apparently sales to NY are not taxed. Tempting. I'll be buying in the next 1-2 weeks.

Not a particularly attractive looking camera though
who_am_i is offline   Reply With Quote