Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:47 PM   #21

I think the Samsung Digimax i5 fits the bill perfectly.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:13 PM   #22

Similarly, Kodak V550 does have IS too (also video mode only).

Admittedly Samsung i5 is slightly smaller. But beware the trade-off of zoom speed and lens quality when they are packing too many into too small.

Anybody knows the filesize per second of mpeg-4 of Samsung i5?

V550 is 0.5MB/sec.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:22 AM   #23

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
Similarly, Kodak V550 does have IS too (also video mode only).

Admittedly Samsung i5 is slightly smaller. But beware the trade-off of zoom speed and lens quality when they are packing too many into too small.

Anybody knows the filesize per second of mpeg-4 of Samsung i5?

V550 is 0.5MB/sec.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 5, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 1:37 AM   #24

Just my gut feeling that a too compact DC would constraint the lens movements, and affect the zoom & AF speeds. This applies to card-sized Nikon S1,2 & Sony T7 as well.

A clear strength of Samsung i5 over Nikon & Sony, is of course the MPEG-4 movie, and even Optical Zoomable during movie (correct me otherwise, the spec says so).

Such movie features are VERY similar to Kodak V550.

Also the lens, may not be co-incidentally, also Schneider.

So I am VERY VERY interested to compare the performance btwn V550 and i5.

Pls also notice if the audio noise level of the i5 during video zoom is acceptable or not?

Old Jul 31, 2005, 5:20 AM   #25

OK. as far as the Samsung Digimax i5 is concerned, got a couple sample pictures sorted out plus a video clip. Its 1 minute and 4 seconds at 14,873kb. That makes it 232kb per second. Bigpotato, have a look at the clip and let me know what you think of the quality. Its done at 640px, 30fps.

sample pictures resized to 640x480. Let me know if you would like to see the original size. 5MP.

to answer your question, there is no sound on video recording while zoom, it mutes the sound while zooming. I did zoom once in the clip and it mutes. Would have been better if it didnt mute and no additional sound. would have been perfect!

anyways here is the link. please do not post this link anywhere else.

http://media.arvind-sachdev.com

its my personal site so please respect my bandwidth.

arvind sachdev
chiangmai, thailand
Old Jul 31, 2005, 8:50 AM   #26

Dear musicarvind,

(Below is a copy of a reply that I posted in another thread).

Dear Musicarvind,

Thankyou so much for making your Digimax i5 pictures and movie clip available.

I downloaded the movie and I thought it was pretty good. Apparently the reason why the sound is muted during zoom is because otherwise there would be a lot of noise pick-up from the zooming mechanism. Remeber that the microphone on the camera is very close to the zooming mechanism.

I am very interested to know more about the "safety flash" feature of the Digimax i5. Does this work or is it just a gimmick? Any posts of "safety flash" pictures would be very much appreciated:!:

Alan Bottomley, Hobart, Australia
aaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:31 PM   #27

Thanks for the sample Samsung i5 pics & video.

Is the video quality the best selectable in the i5? It's 232kbps is just half the bit-rate of my Kodak v550 which does NOT mute during video zoom. But I found my zoom motor noise level acceptable (maybe I am a loudspeaker

However the bit-rate, I feel your movie is still quite smooth, and the focusing response time is quite good i.e. the subject are readily in-focus after about 0.1sec you've zoomed in them. I am a bit surprised to learn that mpeg-4 filesize can be even smaller than 0.5M/sec.

Maybe you've read already - I posted in another new topic to seek if there is external microphone possible to avoid the zoom motor noise for v550.

Anyway Congratulations to Arvind on your new tiny toy!

Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:56 AM   #28

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the sample Samsung i5 pics & video.

Is the video quality the best selectable in the i5? It's 232kbps is just half the bit-rate of my Kodak v550 which does NOT mute during video zoom. But I found my zoom motor noise level acceptable (maybe I am a loudspeaker

However the bit-rate, I feel your movie is still quite smooth, and the focusing response time is quite good i.e. the subject are readily in-focus after about 0.1sec you've zoomed in them. I am a bit surprised to learn that mpeg-4 filesize can be even smaller than 0.5M/sec.

Maybe you've read already - I posted in another new topic to seek if there is external microphone possible to avoid the zoom motor noise for v550.

Anyway Congratulations to Arvind on your new tiny toy!
Hi !

ur most welcomed. Had a site and lots of space to it so why not share samples. Yes it is the best video quality selectable. IT was rather cloudy though when I took the video. 232kbps at 0.2M/sec. Yours is double the bit rate, hence more than double the space needed. But I rather have what your kodak can offer. Great movie then!.

But overall I guess you get more on the i5 than what you pay. I went for value for money, thats why I got it. Frankly I would have rather gone for the Fuji F10!. Thats a super camera but sadly not with MPEG-4. I just didn;'t have the budget for it. Perhaps when the prices drop and Fuji releases other stuff, I'll grab the F10.

arvind..
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:54 AM   #29

Thanks for everyones' input to help me choose - I have decided on the Panny FX9, despite it not having MPEG4 video.It is now in stock at the Panasonic eshop. Hopefully I'll have it in time for my US trip at the beginning of September.

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/invt/dmcfx9bs
mnetley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:44 AM   #30

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
It's 232kbps is¬* just half the bit-rate of my Kodak v550 which does NOT mute during video zoom.

However the bit-rate, I feel your movie is still quite smooth, and the focusing response time is quite good i.e. the subject are readily in-focus after about 0.1sec you've zoomed in them.¬* I am a bit surprised to learn that mpeg-4 filesize can be even smaller than 0.5M/sec.
i5 Camera use ZORAN COACH 7 processor and comparing with KODAK V550 video i5 video have 60% of B-frames ( V550 have 0% of Bi-directional frames ).
What it mean? When compressing i5 make 1.6 times more computation and the rezult is better motion prediction and smaller file size with the same quality
TRUEMOTION is offline   Reply With Quote