Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:55 PM   #1

I've been reading up and have narrowed the search down to these three camera's. I know alot of you guys are huge camera people, so I come here to ask my questions. This will be for daily pictures, trips, activities, family photo's, camping, etc. I've picked two 2005 models, and one 2004 model. I know there's a New S5200 out, but i didnt see a review on it yet. Maybe another choice? What do you guys think will be a decient choice. I wanna learn more manual modes down the road and get better with photography. I'll most likely be not printing photos.

EDIT: now looking at the Z7590 instead of the Z740.

Z5 Pros: Long open time shutter, 12x Optical Zoom, Antishake,

Z5 Cons: Slow Viewfinder, Cannot buffer fast enough to capture fast moving objects, no AF illuminator / Assist Lamp, focusing system also has difficulty keeping up with the lens in movie format, microphone is in a bad spot.

Z740 Pros: 10x Optical Zoom, Long open time shutter,light weight wth2 AA batteries, AF-Assist lamp.

Z740 Cons: Image Compression, EVF needs a rubber eyecup to prevent light.

S5100 Pros: 10x Optical Zoom, optional wide angle lenses, long open time shutter, AF-Assist Illuminator.

S5100 Cons: Bad Raw model, no choice on compression, needs a deeper rubber eyecup to view through the EVF.

GlennH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:57 PM   #2

Glenn,

Not sure what you mean by "Bad Raw model"... How can RAW be bad? RAW is simply the total image captured by the sensor, with no compression applied. The S5100 does offer a choice of compression at the maximum resolution, RAW, Fine, and Normal.

The S5100 is a pretty decent camera, and for the money is one of the better choices out there. It's easy to use, but has enough manual control to help you learn photography. Buy one now and practice up, then next year buy the S5200 when the price drops.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:19 PM   #3

after reading steves review... Quote: Things slow down a bit shooting RAW images; Continuous shooting is disabled, and shot-to-shot time slows to a 2.2 second interval. RAW mode is not well supported by Fuji's FinePix Viewer; all you can do is convert the RAW file to TIFF and save it. As a result, I think that most S5100 users will be satisfied with the camera's 4-megapixel Fine JPEG mode. I as a newer user wouldnt notice this. I really shouldnt of considered that a con.
GlennH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:44 PM   #4

Glenn,

I agree, that as a newer user you shouldn't be too concerned about RAW mode at this point. However, having the option available gives you the ability to play around with it and learn. From what I've read, the Z7590 has no uncompressed capability and the Z5 has no RAW, but does have TIFF capability. However, when shooting in the TIFF mode, the shot to shot cycle time on the Z5 slows to 3.84 seconds.

By the way, the S5200 isn't due to be released until September, so you probably won't see any professional reviews (at least of a production model) until well into the Fall. It looks like it's going to be an absolutely awesome camera...10X zoom, 5.1 MP, anti-blur, ISO 64 to ISO 1600 capability, and 500 shot battery life with AA's. I think I'll wait until next Summer to buy mine (after the price drops).

Good luck with your search, Glenn.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote