Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:32 PM   #1

Greetings.

I'm looking to get my first digital camera. However, I like to play with things and learn about them, so ideally would like something that's not limited to basic point'n'shoot - from what I've read, it seems having a shutter priority setting would be enough to accomplish this. I've read through about 30+ reviews, and looked at several hundred sample photos, but still can't decide! I'm looking about the 5MP mark, and don't really want to spend more than about £200-£250. (About $400, I guess, but we seem to have extra considerable mark-ups over here)

I can't see myself enjoying life using AAs, so I'd prefer lithiums or some similar sort. Also, SD would be greatly prefered, as I could use it in my Palm too.

For usage, it would be varied, which I can see being awkward. I foresee indoor shots, so a good flash would be preferable, but outside shots, both day and night. Being in the UK, it being a bit gloomier may affect it, too.

The two I thought best from what I've seen (but as I continue to look, I keep seeing others just as good) are the Kodak DX7590 and the Casio Z750, 'though the Casio's just a bit too much. Also, it seems the Casio has a weak flash but nice picture quality, where as the Kodak had a nice flash, but the images looked a bit soft to me. The DX7590 did also feature a 10x optical zoom, which seemed fun to me.

Are there any others I should be looking at? Are either of the above any good? I've also heard issues with the Kodak about bufferring, where after a number of shots there can be long delays where the camera is 'processing' - is that so? All help appreciated.
Me-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:31 AM   #2

If you want room to grow your budget is a trifle limiting I'm afraid. There are several cameras with manual override plus aperture and shutter priority (all essential if you want to go further than point and press) and of those the smallest and probably best is the Canon S70, followed by the Olympus 7070, both of which are in the 7mp bracket. I recommend these above others because they have a wide angle lens, most important for creativity and so useful indoors. The Olympus is great but big and bulky whereas the Canon, while not pocket sized, is not at all big. I looked on Ebay.co.uk and it is for sale within your price range too! So lets check the tick boxes -

Lithium battery for long life

Auto, shutter, aperture and manual modes

Wide angle lens - essential for indoor work

Powerful flash.

I am a professional using a Nikon D2X as my everyday camera, but the S70 is now a constant companion for those other moments and the results are superb. I strongly recommend it and hope this helps.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:57 AM   #3

how about the CanonA510 - good, solid performer

http://www.e-digicam.com/Static_CanonA510.aspx
e-digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:43 AM   #4

AA batteries which were specifically exluded - lithium preferred, and a 35mm widest angle. Hence I didn't recommend the A510. There aren't many point and shoot cameras with all of the enquirers requirements, and if you eliminate AA and include wide angle very few I'm afraid. Indoor shots need the wide angle. Outdoor the bigger zoom might be useful, but with 7mp one can crop and enlarge without much loss of quality up to A4 size. I still rest with the S70. More expensive but a better camera.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:42 AM   #5

If you are shooting in burst mode , and take 6 shots in a row there is a small delay for processing. About 6-10 seconds on my 6490. Probably the same on the 7590. I havent been put off by it as it is not used that much. If you take a timed exposure it takes about the same time to process as the exposure took . As far as low light and indoor shots they are about the same as any digicam in a similar price range. If as most I've talked to you decide to add the adapter to the 7590 and use a UV filter and polorizing filter, then you would want an exterior add on flash anyway. They are much better giving a longer distance flash and helping remove the possibility for red eye because the flash is further from the lens axis. I've totally enjoyed my 6490 and use it every day. Wouldn't go back to film EVER.

Dawg

PS think about the DX7440. Not as much zoom, but more features and the same features are expanded.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote