Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:00 PM   #11

Over Achiever wrote:
Quote:
Slipe - I found the original on his site ... he includes links to various sizes including the original on the bottom on the page.http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/image/46627558/original
That is the same one I linked above. "Original" at the bottom of the page just refers to the size you want to display it. It is not an indication it is an unretouched original image.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:19 PM   #12

Ah, I mistook the 450x600 image as his image, not Sarahs, sorry.
Over Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:11 PM   #13

I agree with Sarah's advice: don't use the imaging-resource.com camera comparator. Read carefully how the pictures are taken. I thinkthe owner of that siteshoots posters for that purpose, that is why you see exactly the same images for all cameras. So, it is not a real life scenario. For example, while back ago, I bought Canon S50 after comparingits images with other camerasonimaging-resource.com. After using this camera in real life, I noticed a significant corner softnes (blur) in my landscape shots. The imaging-resource.com images didn't have that problem. I am afraid that Canon S70 may have the same problem.

I've been fooled by many review sites because the images that they take with different cameras use different settings. For example, one camera can be set to anarrower apertureand lower shutter speedto get a sharperimagethan the other camera (when mounted on a tripod). Plus, when comparing dSLRs, the review sites use the kit lenses most of the time, which are not the best. You can get better images if you shed off some money for better lens.

I agree with the previous posts: the best thing to do is to buy a dSLR and a pocket-size camera. I already bought my dSLR (Canon 350D) and I am looking to buy a pocket-size camera. I no longer demand the latter to be the dSLR quality. I like Fuji F10 a lot (low noise, sharp images) and just waiting forits next release (I am not in the rush). Somebody on the other forum said that F10 achieves ISO 1600 by engagingNR, which results ina lost resolution. And that any camera could have done that. I thoughtthe lower noise of F10 comes from their super CCD sensor.Can anybody comment on that?
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:56 PM   #14

Do you know that in Steve's just published professional review of the Olympus Stylus 800 he found no strange artefacts. He rated the Stylus a great value.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:53 AM   #15

I'd suggest the Fuji F10. OK, it's not ultra-pocketable but shows the best quality at high ISOs.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:07 AM   #16

TD-7900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:36 AM   #17

Here is an interesting recommendation. http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz750.htm
Yaep, Casio, but just read it anyway. quite interesting.

That said, I have no personal knowledge of that camera, and have not studied the compacts lately. I do know first hand a small sesor can't whip a large sensor. Rockwell's site is excellent as a non sponsored, outspoken, opinionated, knowledgable source of good information.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:33 PM   #18

Sarah

I just read Steve's Olympus 800 review. Maybe it's just my eyes, but I think the images look terrible. Look at these 2 images in 100% zoom:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/p7200048.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/cimg0040.jpg

The 800 has obvious sharp streaky noise going on.

TD-7900

Thanks for all the insight. Pretty much everything you said rings true. I bought a compact and am able to get somewhere around 90-95% of the quality of the Rebel XT. But this isn't for every shot, it's only with:

* RAW
* ISO 50
* Low F-Stop
* Tripod or Timer and very steady hands
* LIGHT

Overall I am very happy with being able to get shots that could hold their own up against 35mm SLR and dSLRs and not have to fuss with camera bags and lenses.
fake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:01 PM   #19

Fake/Henry-

I sincerely believe that if you enlarge any digital photo sufficiently that you will indeed fine some noise or an unusual artefact or two. It is part of the digital process.

In normal use, most folks will never notice very small and minor defects. Yes,there probably always will be very small/minor imperfections, just as there was in film photos.Most folks will never see those problems.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 4:17 PM   #20

I think fake is right:the problem ishis eyes. I just examinedsteve's sample photo he mentioned, and I was impressed. Absolutely no purple fringing, and excellent resolution in the points of the palm tree, etc. It would make an excellent 8x10 print.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote