Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:13 PM   #1

Are there any compact or ultra-compact digital cameras that are capable of producing an image that is similar in quality to the Rebel XT or other dslr?

Forget about all the features... I am just interested in raw image quality. That means, none of that colorful noise stuff, no chunky squares, just a nice image that is sharper and cleaner looking than 35mm scans like I've seen the Rebel XT produce.

If not, is there anything that comes close and is small enough to fit in a pocket?
fake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:38 PM   #2

The 8mp Olympus Stylus 800 comes very close to the photoquality of the Canon 350D/XT. It is very small and pocketable.

Here is a sample 8mp photo from the Stylus 800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 9:14 PM   #3

in the real world......No.

not at this time. and at the current design trend it won't be for some time too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:56 PM   #4

The olympus C8080 isn't all that portable, has a fixed lens, but it's photographic quality is astonishing.

Other than that, consider a digital rebel XT. It's not compact, but has excellent picture quality.

Most pocketable cameras do not have the sensor quality, nor the lens quality to produce really nice images.

I have the Canon 20D for really nice shots, and then I use a little $100 3 megapixel pocketable camera for walkaround stuff where I 'm not too concerned about image quality but willing to make the sacrifice for portability.

One specific camera can't do it all. Consider owning more than one camera.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:07 AM   #5

SJMS is right. The larger sensors on dSLR's are not available on Point-and-Shoot cameras, nor are their larger and faster lenses.

That said, the Canon S70 is small enough to be pocketable and its image quality is on par with it's larger prosumer sibling the G6.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:15 AM   #6

I was looking at some full shots from the Olympus 800, and like the one you posted, it looks strange. There is some weird horizontal streaky fuzziness going on, and a lot of compression.

See for yourself: http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/image/46627603

I've always heard the Fuji F10 is something special, but it seems like it only stands out of the crowd when comparing noise at high ISO.

The Olympus C8080 looks pretty good, but it isn't portable and is expensive, so it'd make more sense to just get a dslr so that you can use different lenses.

The Canon S70 looks good indeed. Not quite on the level of the Rebel XT, but pretty close. Not only that but it looks like it could fit in a pocket, it has RAW format, and it allows manual controls. Thanks for pointing this out, it seems to be the only camera in it's class.

This website lets you compare test shots side by side of all the cameras:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

As you can see, the S70 seems to beat out all other compacts.

Price Shipped
Canon S70 $405.06
Rebel XT Body $747.90

So it seems like the conclusion for obtaining the highest quality images is to have an expensive and bulky dslr for planned sessions, and carry a S70 in your pocket for spontaneous creativity.

Thanks

p.s. - I see that both the Rebel XT and the S70 use the same CF storage as well as the same battery. This helps spread costs between the two and make for a great combination.
fake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:48 PM   #7

Henry, to be quite honest, I have dealt with yourFAKE photo link for quite qwhile!

Let's, please be fair, shall we. I have never posted the file that you keep linking to all the time. It is as simple as that!

Why should I be squeered, because of some file that I never posted? Are you out to get me?

Is there no fairness on this Forum??

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:37 PM   #8

I agree with sjms. Whatever they can do with a high density tiny pocket camera sensor they can do better with a large and lower density DSLR sensor. The large DSLR sensors have a little better dynamic range, and no amount of post processing can compensate for that. The large DSLR sensors have much better inherent noise, so you don't have to use in-camera noise filtering to remove it – resulting in a sharper and cleaner image.

I haven't gone to DSLR because I like the convenience of having a pocket camera and a larger one with 12X stabilized images without carrying around a bag of gear. You can do a lot in post processing to get an excellent 13 X 19 print from a 7Mp image. But they aren't quite up to the standards of a DSLR image no matter how skillful you are in Photoshop.

Sarah Joyce – I didn't get the impression fake intimated you took the image. Right on the page it says it is copyrighted by Henry Falkner and Sandra Killen. Unless you use one of those names I don't see where it applies to you.

This is the original image from which the tower was cropped: http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/image/46627558 The EXIF says the sharpening, contrast and saturation were set at zero, so I would hope you can tone those down some in the menu. There is no way to know he didn't overdo the post-processing, but your image looks a little overly contrasty to me as well. It is hard to tell from a 450 X 600 image though. Maybe you could provide full sized links to the images you post.

It seems to be a trend that cameras are coming out with the default settings a little high. They probably look better in the LCD to a new camera buyer and they sell more cameras that way. No big deal as long as you have good controls in the menu to tone it down a little.

What would concern me with the camera Falkner has is the edge softness. It is common to have a little corner softness in pocket cameras, but that particular Stylus 800 looks like it needs to be returned.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 4:05 PM   #9

Slipe-

Many thanks for your measured and well thought out response. No, the sample photo that fake refers to is not mine. I reacted in error and unfortunately without any investigation, thinking that he was saying that was my photo.

The error was mine, and I offer my apologies. Yes, that photo was used at factory default settingsand I believe that is the reason for the high contrast. I really appreciate your efforts and your post.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:53 PM   #10

Slipe - I found the original on his site ... he includes links to various sizes including the original on the bottom on the page.*http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/image/46627558/original
Over Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote